Tylorstown Sketch

Use this forum to post images of Tylorstown, old and new. I don't have the capacity to allow users to post images directly to the forum I'm afraid so you'll have to host them somewhere else.

Tylorstown Sketch

Postby Cymro1 » Tue May 06, 2014 2:44 am

Hi brianblaen boy

Yes my mate Chris do have relatives living here in Perth that emigrated some years ago from Blaen. Chris and I along with another friend originally from Synghenydd used to play golf together but i no longer play because of my wifes state of health.

When the three of us were together on the golf course we had many a laugh and reminisced a lot of times gone by. My other mate and I both worked in the pits years ago and filled a few trams of coal on the way around the course but Chris was a teacher of course so the closest he ever came to a bucket of coal was his journeys to the cwtch under the stairs.

There are quite a few Welsh people living here in Perth and one time when I went to a concert by the touring Treorchy choir it was like visiting the national Eisteddfod at Llangollen, There were hundreds there in the concert hall all speaking Welsh so you see we never forget where we are from, Even being flung to the other side of the world don't stop us feeling the "Hiraeth" In fact it intensifies it believe me.

Have a great day boyo with best wishes until we catch up again no doubt.

cymro1
Cymro1

Re: Tylorstown Sketch

Postby GaryLockyer » Wed May 07, 2014 2:20 am

Your recollections of the Treorchy Male Voice Choir visiting you in Perth reminds me of the time - a few years ago, about 30 years actually, when Ferndale's Pendyrus Choir visited here in Sydney.
They were singing in Sydney Town Hall and I had managed to get seats in the second row front, to the right side of the stage.
A few refreshing ales - to lubricate the vocal chords of course, and into the hall we went.
As is customary, the choir puts two of its members to either side of the stage to monitor and control the actual appearance of the choir onto the stage. i.e. when virtually everyone has arrived at their seats.
On our side of the stage, out came Arthur Gilder from Maerdy - who was very friendly with all of my family.
I was sitting there with one of the longest red and white Welsh scarves you have ever seen. My wife actually knitted it and it is 14 ft long. I have to wrap it around my neck, quite loosely three times simply to stop the ends from dragging on the ground.
Anyway, Arthur is watching the back of the hall rather intently so as to ensure that we were all in place in readiness for the choir to appear.
As he was almost satisfied, he scanned his eyes towards the front of the audience as a check for empty seats and then he spotted me.
With eyes staring he mouthed to me " What the bloody 'ell you doin' 'ere Gary???'
"Come to see you sing Arfur" I mouth back.
"S**t" says he," it would have been a lot cheaper to come to see us practice in St Dunstans 3 weeks ago last Thursday down Regent St than pay all that money to come and see us 'ere, boyo".
Suffice to say, following the concert - at which I joined in with the singing - or my version of singing, anyway, we joined up with the choir and went to the reception that was being held for them at Hyde Park Barracks.
Food and drink - in copious amounts was enjoyed by everyone, but the main thing that all of the choristers wanted to know was - "How did it sound?' "were we OK?' "Did you notice some of us lip-synchcing" They were concerned that they were on a hectic programme and had performed for 3 consecutive concets before coming to Sydney. Some of them were a bit on the hoarse to to say the least.
After I assured them that they sounded "bloody great, mun" and explaining to Arthur Gilder that I had been living in Sydney for almost 10 years we continued well into the wee small hours to the satisfaction of all and sundry.
Here endeth my reminiscences of the Pendyrus's visit to Sydney. :o
GaryLockyer

Postby Cymro1 » Wed May 07, 2014 3:04 am

Hi Gary. I too went to see the Pendyrus when they were here in Perth, It would have been the same tour but they started in Perth first as Perth is closer to Tylorstown. ha! ha!

I had at that time a few mates in the choir and as for Arthur Gilda well, Him and I went to school together and his older brother Bobby (Aslso living in Maerdy later on) went boxing in the Bridgend Pub which is no longer there of course.

My uncle Teddy Lewis used to run the boxing club there and I went boxing for a number of years at the same time as Bobby.

The Gilda's are from Stanleytown originally and Arthur went to Tech afterwards and wen't into the building trade and was a representative for the trade I believe, Maybe you can elaborate on his position there. I think it was with the Association of Builders or some sort of official body.

You and I probably would have a lot in common if we ever got together but I think I may be a bit older than you at 82 and still going strong. I bought my latest canoe just 3 months ago and really enjoy canoeing the Swan river or the harbour at Hillerys just north of Perth with my son and grandson.

I've just finished playing golf only because my wife is not too well and was playing better these days than I was 30 years ago in New Zealand where we lived for 15 years before coming to live in Perth.

Look forward to your next post. Have a great day cariad.

Best wishes

Cymro1
Cymro1

Postby GaryLockyer » Mon May 12, 2014 2:45 am

Hi Cymro1,

Arthur Gilder set up in business with Ken Thomas, a cheerful faced, short, plump chap with gingery hair -you may also know him. They ran the builder business from a workshop/depot in Maerdy. Arthur married Gillian and they lived in Excelsior Tce - the main road, in Maerdy. As I said, he and Gill were very friendly with my parents - Barbara and Trevor Lockyer.
Whilst thinking about this, brought to mind all of the other local builders and undertakers that we had in the area.
In no particular order or preference, Mauley and Clarence Fox in Brynhyfryd. Phil Phillips in Cross Lake St - who opened the little sweet shop next door to the Con Club, The Morgan Brothers whose yard was down near the "trip' going down to the lower school, Dilwyn Humphries, Tim Thomas. I can recall these because we had the Hearse and Limousine hire business at the garage - weddings, funerals, even took greyhounds to the races in them immediately after the war when petrol was scarce and cars were scarcer.
Have to do some work -work now....
More anon
Gary
GaryLockyer

Postby Cymro1 » Mon May 12, 2014 9:32 am

Hi Gary

I did'nt know any of the others you mentioned, Mind you when I was 23 I got married and moved away from the Rhondda and that was many moons ago of course. I married a girl from Cardiff and went to live down there for a few years and lost touch with most of the boy's at home. I've been out this way since 1971, New Zealand first for 15 years and here in Perth since 1986. I still have two sisters back in the Rhondda and the last time I visited was 2012 which was our last time more than likely as the journey is too much for my wife now as you will appreciate. Hell of a flight and even worse for you by a few hours more again.

I kept in touch with things over there through "Aberdareonline" forum and it has'nt improved that's for sure.

Will catch up again later , Take care with best wishes.

cymro1.
Cymro1

Postby brianblaenboy » Tue May 13, 2014 10:52 pm

Phil Phillips - Tylorstown, daughter Anne in Ferndale Grammar School a year or two above me. He buried my grandfather at Llanwonno in 1952, I still have his bill - less than £40.00. Clarence Fox lived a few doors down from my parents in North Road, daughter Hilary went to Porth County, around my age perhaps a year younger, and son Clinton. The Foxes buried my grandmother in 1962 and that bill was less than £42.00. Both funerals were in November/December, both taken round Pontypridd due to the heavy snow, and my late father said that his father made it to the church on a sledge because the hearse couldn't get up that far!!! Clarence's wife was my maths teacher at Ferndale Grammar. Just goes to show what happens when names are mentioned, makes the brain get into gear.

Thanks Gary & Cymro1.
brianblaenboy

Postby Cymro1 » Wed May 14, 2014 2:45 am

Hi Phil

Pleased to know that people are looking in to the forum, If we keep posting this site could grow into something that will give many people a lot of pleasure especially the ex pats from this area.

I am always enthusiastic to hear news from "Home" Keeping in touch is really good, Hearing about former friends and where they have re-located to, Sadly too many of my former friends have re-located to where we all will end up eventually but there again what determines your outcome there is whether you travel up or down I suppose . In the meantime let's just enjoy ourselves by keeping in touch and sharing the news Good or Bad.

Have a nice day everyone.

Cymro1
Cymro1

Postby GaryLockyer » Thu May 15, 2014 5:15 am

Hi Brian, You recalling burials at Llanwonno reminder me of a BIG funeral that we did, rising from the Community Hall in Blaen up to Llanwonno in about 1965.
The deceased was a high-ranking member of the Salvation Army, he had been dead a week, and the service at the Hall was an "Open Coffin" affair where people filed past to pay their respects.
This was before aerosol cans, in the summertime and quite hot - both in and outdoors.
Once we had secured the coffin lid, it was loaded into the hearse - which I was driving and I was accompanied by Morley Fox the undertaker.
Now comes the hard part. It was a processional funeral, where all of the mourners WALKED behind the hearse.
It would have been ok if it was "on the flat" like Dick the Kick's funeral in Stella - but this was up to Llan.
I leave you to imagine the miners, with black lungs, having to hike up there. Even on the initial drag we were crawling along. At stages I said to Mr Fox, that I would have to speed up a bit and let them catch up because I was having to ride the clutch and I could smell it burning. So we went up in fits and starts. I would go on for about 100 yards, wait for them and then repeat the process.
From memory I believe it took us somewhere around 3 and a half hours to get to the cemetery. (Where the poor vicar -who had gone on aheasd of us in readiness had gone to sleep waiting for us).
I did manage to get the hearse back to the garage but we did end up having to change the clutch which I had almost burnt out to the plate.
_Oh - Cymro - Brian above was referring to my previous post about Phil Phillips the local undertaker, when you responded to him as Phil.
Keep on posting folks......
GaryLockyer

Postby Cymro1 » Thu May 15, 2014 8:11 am

Hi Gary

Without being disrespectful your account of that funeral journey to Llan reminded me of a Welsh comedy film I saw here in Perth. It was in an open air cinema and it was called "A plot with a view" and it was about the rivalry between two undertakers in a small Welsh village. If you ever see it advertised anywhere don't miss it as it's hillarious.

I'm laughing now thinking about it as I write.

Yes, keep writing folks, This forum could become quite popular it just needs more of you to look in and start posting with any news you have from "Home" or abroad.

Best wishes everyone.

Cymro1
Cymro1

Postby Cymro1 » Thu May 15, 2014 8:16 am

Sorry Brian I got the names mixed up a bit on my reply to your last posting.

Will pay more attention to the names next time.

Best wishes boyo.

Cymro1
Cymro1

Return to Images of Tylorstown