Changes after 40years

A general discussion forum for Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach. If you can't find another suitable forum on ferndale-wales for what you want to say, post your message in here.

Changes after 40years

Postby JohnPitt » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:16 am

Saw an up-to-date photo of Ferndale recently and shocked to see "how Green is my Valley" now!
Lots of fairly mature pine forest. No trace of Ferndale collery or the Railway Station ( - even the rail tracks are gone on googlemaps) - even the grasscovered tips down to the washery gone, and swanky new playing fields.
My old junior school gone without a trace. (As also the one at the Tylorstown end of Park Road).
My Father had a mouse Farm in the Lane behind Pleasant Hill - the allotments are still well looked after.

:o
JohnPitt

Re: Changes after 40years

Postby RogerWood » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:14 pm

JohnPitt wrote:Saw an up-to-date photo of Ferndale recently and shocked to see "how Green is my Valley" now!
Lots of fairly mature pine forest. No trace of Ferndale collery or the Railway Station ( - even the rail tracks are gone on googlemaps) - even the grasscovered tips down to the washery gone, and swanky new playing fields.
My old junior school gone without a trace. (As also the one at the Tylorstown end of Park Road).
My Father had a mouse Farm in the Lane behind Pleasant Hill - the allotments are still well looked after.

:o

Hi John, Your dad did something with "Shorthand" didn't he ?..........I bet he only did it in English though.
..........Have you seen this photo before:-
http://www.rogerwood.talktalk.net/Schoo ... rs%204.jpg
RogerWood

Postby JohnPitt » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:04 am

Ah fancy remebering that!
It was a brilliant invention making shorthand potentially 50% faster but invented in the age of the dictaphone. He did actually offer tuition in English, German, Portugese and Romanian!

I think that's the photo I e-mailed you or Dennis.

The guy below Malcolm Hughes is Barrie Davies. Anyone know where he is these days?
JohnPitt

Postby RogerWood » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:42 pm

JohnPitt wrote:Ah fancy remebering that!
It was a brilliant invention making shorthand potentially 50% faster but invented in the age of the dictaphone. He did actually offer tuition in English, German, Portugese and Romanian!

I think that's the photo I e-mailed you or Dennis.

The guy below Malcolm Hughes is Barrie Davies. Anyone know where he is these days?

There's nobody here in Radcliife who knows where Barry is.
I did find a photo of Malcolm in his cricket whites on the Rhondda Cynan Taff site. http://archive.rhondda-cynon-taf.gov.uk ... =1&t=4&x=1
RogerWood

Postby bouncer » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:23 pm

I must have been taking the photo as I'm not in that picture
bouncer

Postby JohnPitt » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:37 pm

Found out today my old infants school pal Dennis Jones passed away over a year ago - was stunned
Thing is I was wondering why he hadn't come on this forum.
JohnPitt

Postby GaryLockyer » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:15 am

Just had a flash of memory when I saw a photo on the Old Pictures web site of the Strand - complete with the telephone box in the middle.
Another shop that I haven't seen mentioned in here is the old LESLIE STORES, on High Street, on the bend going up to Rhondda Road. :idea:
Gone again, to think of some more
Gary
GaryLockyer

Postby JohnPitt » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:09 am

Here's the Strand before the phonebox much of it similar to 1953 apart from the people & dress.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/phot ... =667254134
JohnPitt

Return to General