A general discussion forum for Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach. If you can't find another suitable forum on ferndale-wales for what you want to say, post your message in here.

Postby JohnPitt » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:38 pm

The photo I have turned into an avatar is one of a cluster sent to my father when he ran a mouse farm in ferndale just off Brown street.

It was sent by a lady in the north of England showing mice doing unlikely things ...

Climbing over a Cat's head. :shock:

Well I think the prize goes to the cat :o

He had many unlikely customers Enid Blyton and the shah of Iran to mention two.
JohnPitt

Re: Avatar story

Postby snooky » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:04 pm

I spent many happy times with your Dad in his "shed"...i had a little family of Albino mice there! My Mam didn't know that i went there...and 1 time i had to take my "little family" home ,( your Dad was going somewhere.)..so armed with them all in 2 shoe boxes they came home to live under my bed for a couple of days!!! Needless to say, my mother found them... and she went "BALLISTIC"!!! :-) Just as well i coould take them back the same evening!!! I LOVED going there on my way home from Junior school :)
snooky

Postby JohnPitt » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:24 pm

Ha Ha nice story!

Once the Rhondda leader did an article on the farm and we gave lots of useful info which never reached print yet said that my Mam was scared stiff of mice and would stand on a chair if she saw one (bit difficult as she was slightly crippled). :o Never believe everything in a newspaper ;)
Anyway this photo clearly shows her unfazed holding my 3 year old self holding (correctly) an albino mouse and Dad showing an Astrex (wooly coat) white as seen in his own handbook Mouse Breeders Textbook.
Which needless to say is long out of print.

JohnPitt

Postby JohnPitt » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:30 pm

Pre Roland Rat era it was difficult to sell a rat as a clean, safe & odourless pet.

This photo was printed in a leaflet to alter public perception.

JohnPitt

Return to General