"Stella," on Sky TV Friday Evenings

A general discussion forum for Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach. If you can't find another suitable forum on ferndale-wales for what you want to say, post your message in here.

"Stella," on Sky TV Friday Evenings

Postby jakedude » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:26 pm

While watching this programme my sister noticed a marked resemblence to Elm Street and Oak Street. She photographed the TV set and sent me the pictures. It certainly looks like Elm Street with the pronounced slope at the bottom of the road and the "Red Wall" well in evidence. There was a photo of a skip and the telephone number was a Ferndale one. Has anyone seen a TV company around, filming this programme? There is even a donkey tied to the railings at the bottom of Oak/Elm Street! North Road seems to feature too but there is one image I cannot place, maybe it's the Welfare Hall in Tylorstown (or maybe not!).
I live in Kent so I cannot drop by and check out these pictures, but any news would make watching the programme that much more interesting.
jakedude

Re: "Stella," on Sky TV Friday Evenings

Postby mochyn » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:31 pm

I've not had time to study the programmes in detail (too busy laughing) but some of the views are definitely in the Rhondda Fach. I'll have to take a close look with Google Earth alongside. I think the streets you mentioned certainly feature though. I think I caught sight of Highfield too, and some of the shots in the first episode are down at the rugby club. Great programme, and great to see Ferndale are the surrounding area feature.
Mochyn Administrator for: http://forum.ferndale-wales.co.uk/
mochyn
Site Admin

Postby mochyn » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:35 pm

Just had a closer look, and the location where the horse is tied up outside is at the bottom of Elm Street as you suggested. Also the Welfare Hall in Tylorstown is correct. The bit I thought was Highfield is actually Marshfield Road, just the other side of the cemetery. Fascinating stuff. Looking forward to the remaining eight episodes.
mochyn
Site Admin

Postby darran » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:14 pm

I also thought the location was the bottom of either Elm or Oak Street. The really funny comedy drama on BBC last Christmas called 'A Child's Christmases in Wales' (a take off of the Dylan Thomas 'A Child's Christmas in Wales') which also starred Ruth Jones was definitely filmed in Ferndale (wikipedia)and I thought then it was one of those streets. I don't think it's the same house as I think it was further up towards North Rd but it was on the same side.
I hope it's shown again sometime as I lost my recording of it when we updated our Virgin box.

Sheila
darran

Postby darran » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:24 pm

Drat! I've just seen that they showed A Child's Christmases in Wales again on Christmas Day on BBC 4.

Sheila
darran

Postby RogerWood » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:38 am

RogerWood

Postby darran » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:42 pm

Thanks very much for that link - I'd never have thought of looking for it on youtube. Just watched the beginning again. Definitely Elm Street. Anybody recognise the view from the phone box?

Sheila
darran

Postby valpowell35 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:14 am

"Stella" with no sound tonight. What a disappointment - I wonder if they will repeat it. I didn't hear anyone say what the trouble was, only an apology on screen. Half way through it switched to 'The Simpsons'!!!
valpowell35

Postby JohnPitt » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:05 am

darran wrote: .................. Anybody recognise the view from the phone box?

Sheila

Well I am wondering whether it's a contrived scene on Llanwonno Road out of Stanleytown - you can clearly see Penrhys Road other side of the valley and the landscaped old smokey behind just before the road turns at Ty Mynydd Farm. There never was a phone box there, but cleverly taking away the grit box and making it look just like Ye olde 1980 phone box brilliant - and the script too!.
JohnPitt

Postby mochyn » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:56 pm

valpowell35 wrote:"Stella" with no sound tonight. What a disappointment - I wonder if they will repeat it. I didn't hear anyone say what the trouble was, only an apology on screen. Half way through it switched to 'The Simpsons'!!!

Yes, what a bunch of idiots! It's being shown again tonight at 9pm.
mochyn
Site Admin

Next

Return to General