"Stella," on Sky TV Friday Evenings

A general discussion forum for Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach. If you can't find another suitable forum on ferndale-wales for what you want to say, post your message in here.

Re: "Stella," on Sky TV Friday Evenings

Postby mochyn » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:11 pm

Just so you know, Stella is coming out on DVD in March:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stella-DVD-Ruth ... 798&sr=8-1

Alan
Mochyn Administrator for: http://forum.ferndale-wales.co.uk/
mochyn
Site Admin

Postby daveporthcawl » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:41 am

Alan

We bought the Stella DVD from Amazon in July and eagerly viewed all 10 episodes.

The house was at the bottom of Elm Street and the views of THE RED WALL and Blaen so familiar. I passed that spot four times daily from 1939/43 when going to the Junior School from my home in the adjoining Pine Street. The path went down a slope called the TRIP with the old Salisbury Hotel and FLAT on the left.

Good laughs and well worth getting a copy.

Regards Dave
daveporthcawl

Postby GaryLockyer » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:08 am

And now, after long last, we are to get STELLA on TV here in Oz.
I look forward to it with great anticipation.

We have already been watching Gavin and Stacey - I think we have had about 3 series of it.

Sitting here anxiously awaiting - with remote at the ready....... :shock: :shock: :o
GaryLockyer

Postby RogerWood » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:16 am

RogerWood

Postby GaryLockyer » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:53 am

OK -so we hae just had our first taste of Stella here in Oz.
We have no idea whether it is the start - middle - or end of any series.
The episode we saw was the 'Dick the Kick' funeral complete with Neal Kinnock, Shane Williams, Colin Charteris et al. The rugby club coach? who made the eulogy had a blazer badge which looks remarkably like the FERNDALE RFC badge. (He also reminded us of Bill Maynard in his in Heartbeat. - features are most reminiscent).
So, the question is:-
Is this the first episode?
(Otherwise - what have we missed and have to catch up on?).
Gary :idea: :shock: :o :arrow:
GaryLockyer

Postby mochyn » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:03 am

That was the third episode so you've not missed too much. See:

http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/tv/stella/episodes/

It's worth watching from the start if you can though, the characters build bit by bit through the episodes.
mochyn
Site Admin

Postby GaryLockyer » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:04 am

Have watched my second Stella programme, but by Mochyn's post it was probably the third episode.
Eldest son has just come out of prison and approached by the drug dealer.
When Stella is going to the boxing club there are three easy locations to detail.
The boxing club is in the old boys club, next door to the Band Club on Rhondda Road.
There is a shot over her shoulder which shows the car park which used to be the Tudor Hall.
Another angle gives the shops on both side of Rhondda Road going down to the Strand.
Later, when the son goes to return the drugs to the dealer the shot is from the same location but looking straight down Lake Street. You can even make out where the old fire station used to be.
The red wall at the end of Stella'a street is Elm St. Stella's (the end house) is even the same colour red as on the show.
Now awaiting the next episode.
P.S. My wife hates the show, says she will not go back to the cold weather. It is the last week of winter here in Sydney -Spring starts 1st Sept, and today is a chilly? 22C. It even got down to 16C a couple of weeks ago, although the night can go down into single digits 8's or 9C.
GaryLockyer

Postby GaryLockyer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:58 pm

Has the next series of Stella gone to air yet???
We have just finished series 1 with Stella sat on the bench above Stanleytown looking over to Penrhys Road pensively wondering who is the father of her next mistake. :o
GaryLockyer

Postby mochyn » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:34 am

I think they said at the end of the last series that the next one would be on in January.
mochyn
Site Admin

Postby GaryLockyer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:02 am

Stella's parents house is 27 Rhondda Terrace.
Check it out from the front door - which we never used in my days in 20 Rhondda Tce - we always used the back door. Google shows it sparkling white as per the show.
The 'new' houses I think are Rhondda Fechan Farm development off Rhondda Road.
The land used to be owned by the Evans brothers - Evans the Milk and Evans the Bookie.
I have not been able to locate where the post office/shop is, as yet, but will keep looking.
The other one I have been stuck on is the street that they used for filming the funeral cortege of Dick the Kick. They used a horse-drawn hearse and when they walked behind it, to their left- there were trees/hedges behind a newly green-painted metal fence.
I think that this may have been alocation shot as it would be simpler to take the cast to the hearse than to transport the carriage and horse to Ferndale. I will persevere.
:shock:
GaryLockyer

PreviousNext

Return to General