Street Parties

A general discussion forum for Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach. If you can't find another suitable forum on ferndale-wales for what you want to say, post your message in here.

Re: Street Parties

Postby lovelygirll » Fri May 11, 2012 10:11 pm

Hi Gary, It was lovely to read your story of helping your father with funerals/weddings. I lived in Oakland Terrace and remember you garage very well. I'm sure you would also have had some of my mother's floral tributes on your trips as she made wreaths and bouquets at that time.
lovelygirll

Postby GaryLockyer » Tue May 15, 2012 5:17 am

I certainly remember you very well Mary, you lived in about No 8, almost opposite the garage workshop which is on the Ferndale end of the clinic. (I have seen you in the school photos though, which jogged the memory banks).
Yes Dave - I was almost correct with Sam M-------l. I got the middle letters wrong. I concur that it was Mitchell, not as I said Maxwell. He had a daughter, Maureen I believe as well.
Going back to the garage and limo days, we had a contract to pick up and take home the children who suffered from various problems which were rife in those days. Maureen was one that we used to take, then there was Ann Jones from 57 Brynhyfryd - Brynmor Jones the grammar schools teacher's daughter who had polio.(Her brother Peter Jones became a teacher and also avery competitive kayaker). Then there was the sister of John Roberts from Ayron Street - the memory has let her name slip - sorry. Bert Rossiter's daughter from Albany - she was a little terror but you could not help but love her cheekiness. Enough of that.

Talk some more in a few weeks time, I am off on a cruise for a few weeks to Espiritu Santo, Pentecost Island, Vanuatu, Fiji and a couple of little islands in between.
See you later.....Gary :P
GaryLockyer

Postby fernowna » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:39 am

1953 CORONATION YEAR
I was living in Lake Street at the time ,I was 12 years old then( I'm now 71 with 5 great grandkids )and we all watched the Coronation on WIDE SCREEN TV (a projector) B and W of course , We watched it at the Labour Club! (Upstairs in the concert room)all with our party hats ,on(I have a picture of it somewhere ,and I will dig it up ) .I had Aunts,uncles,cousins in Lake , Frederick ,Graig,and Bryngoleu. The Williams,Harvey's of Lake St., Williams of, Frederick and Craig Terrace, and the Stanways of Bryngolau . My friends in the street were Julian and Albert Clement (cousins)John(Herbert) and Dave King(brothers), Swanee Evans, Dave Watkins, Denny Williams and his brother(?). I just gave all my old British coins to my oldest granddaughter, I will give her a Coronation Crown sometime soon.
It's good to keep up with current and past events
fernowna
fernowna

Postby mamgu01 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:56 am

John and David KING are brothers, the are my first cousins. :roll:
mamgu01

Postby fernowna » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:04 am

Hi Mamgu
Herbert John ,David and I were big friends,they lived at 18 lake St. I lived across the road at #79, Last time I had a pint with them was in the Labour Club in 2004, we had a bit ot a guitar/music jam there, brings back fond memories. I always enjoyed being in their company.Street parties, carnivals, Guy Fawkes Night( penny for the Guy)
fernowna

Postby mamgu01 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:25 am

We always went to Frederick Street for the party, that is where my grand parent lived. I thought Michael lived in #79. Aunty Nell
has died now and there is someone else lving in #18. do you know Derryl Bishop, he lives in #7 I think, he is my nephew in law, his mothers name is Gwyneth Davies. I was last "home" in 2006. :D
mamgu01

Previous

Return to General