Street Parties

A general discussion forum for Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach. If you can't find another suitable forum on ferndale-wales for what you want to say, post your message in here.

Street Parties

Postby brianblaenboy » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:14 pm

Out of curiosity, and this was brought up the other day, can anyone remember if there were street parties for Festival of Britain in 1951 and also for the Queen's Coronatiion in 1953?

For some reason I can only remember one, but not which one!

Brian
brianblaenboy

Re: Street Parties

Postby RogerWood » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:04 pm

Coronation party. Ffaldau Terrace and The Parade. held at Bookbinding canteen.
RogerWood

Postby brianblaenboy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:46 pm

Thanks Roger, I remember one in Commercial Street Blaenllechau, because of the slope, but I can't remember two or which one it was - either old age or too many pints?
brianblaenboy

Postby GaryLockyer » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:30 pm

Hi all,
I remember both. Starting with the Festival of Britain in 1951, my clearest memory is when the urinal at the bottom of Graig Terrace, at the intersection of Oakland Terrace was painted with the head of Britannia supported by a star-like design below. I watched the painter/artist doing it as was completely enthralled.( I was 7 years old at the time).
There was a threas about marching bends on here. Well, besides the decoration on the loo, the streets were bedecked with bunting across the streets from house to house. The marching groups were out in full force, up the main road and on up to Darren park. There must have been at least a dozen different bands - black-face gollies (am I allowed to say that?), :shock: girl marching band, brass bands, 8-) colliery bands and so forth all in glorious coloured costumes which could not be photographed as there were no colour cameras available. The march up to the park was followed by a sports gala day and then a street party.
Compared to the Festival of Britain celebrations the Coronation in 1953 was a lot less activity -well, for us little ones it was.
I remember that almost every street set out tables and chairs in the middle of the road -even the bottom end of Duffryn Street - along the main road.All the mums, grans and aunties seemed to be running non-stop into their houses to bring out more food - mainly sponge cakes, cup cakes, trifle and swiss rolls. (Although I expect there was other more mundane food there for the oldies - like sandwiches and stuff.
As you both said, on each occasion the streets were fully regaled in bunting, and kids everywhere.(Iwonder where all those little kids came from? - there seemed to be a lot of young ones. Maybe it had something to do with the war being over - lol :idea: )
The sense of community was so strong back in those times. No-one seemed to lock their doors. (I won't say front doors because we in Rhondda Terrace all used our back doors)
Everyone not only knew their nieghbour but knew just about everyone that lived in the same street - and usually the surrounding streets as well. This is borne out by the the number of posts by you stalwarts - such as Shiela, Brian, John, Mike Tamplin et-al who can recall and link names and places and assist so many visitors in their quest for knowledge of Ferndale and its environs.
That is my threepennorth, have a great day- Gary ;)
GaryLockyer

Postby GaryLockyer » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:52 am

I have just read my post - what happened to spellcheck?
Meant to say threads posted elsewhere on the site.

Another thing about those street parties - the lack of chocolate in 1951.
Chocolate was the last thing to come off rationing.
That was just before the coronation in 1953.
Only the 'crachach' or black-marketeers had ready supplies of chocolate.

1953 was when TV came to the Valleys. I watched the coronation on TV - awesome device.
A 9 inch Bush bought from Rossers and installed with great fanfare - and a huge 'X' shaped ariel. I think that the double 'H' ariels did not start until the dreaded 'commercial' TV began.
(To think that nowadays our laptop computers have larger screens that the first TVs did).
The very first programme I saw on our TV was - Muffin the Mule.
The first TV advert I ever saw was a roundabout and the song - Lovells are loverly, loverly loverly - lovells are loverly.
This time the spell check would toss loverly - but the 'R' was so pronounced in the word that I have to type it that way too.
That was on TWW - Televison Wales and the West.
Not to be confused with that programme of a later era TWTWTW.
Enough for now - back to do some more work.
Gary
GaryLockyer

Postby brianblaenboy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:07 pm

Thank you Gary, I'd forgotten that urinal at your end of Ferndale. There was no TV in our house right up to the time I joined the Army in 1963, and consequently, I'm still not a TV addict. However, I do remember delivering papers in Blaenllechau and most of the doors only had a latch on, probably a dead-bolt behind, and letterboxes were also not universal. I was talking to my two cousins last month and told them the worst day for doing the morning round was a Thursday - apart from the papers, Radio Times, Woman's Own and Woman's Weekly, the bag was bulging and up and down those steps........must have been mad, and all for ten bob a week! About 3/4 years ago, where I live ON THE FLAT in Fleetwood, car pulls up in the middle of the street around 7.30 in the morning and a child gets out, delivers the paper and gets back in?? How times have changed!!
By the way your three pennothworth is priceless.
Iechydd
brianblaenboy

Postby valpowell35 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:58 pm

What lovely memories! It is nice that you have jogged them - haven't thought of those days for years. I remember going to stay with an Aunt and her family in London during the Coronation and watched it on their 9" TV. (I did not have one at home). My little cousin was one of the girl guides lining part of the procession route.

I had just started work and already met my husband to be - he didn't give me his 'last Rolo' but gave me all his chocolate rations! He was a lovely man and I so miss him!!

I cannot remember the street parties in my neck of the woods, yet I clearly remember being around a bonfire in my street on VE day!!! Showing my age!!
valpowell35

Postby RogerWood » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:22 pm

Gary, Isn't it time to retire?? Back to work indeed.
And Brian, Fleetwood is renowned for mugging paper boys.
I've found some fancy dress photos from the same time.
RogerWood

Postby JohnPitt » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:40 am

Brilliant couple of snaps there Rog with the requisite pirate, Afro-Caribean Kojakeque guy (looks like he's just come off shift!), Zer lady from zer French resistance with zer fag in hand, Feztooned boy etc etc. Where were they taken?
JohnPitt

Postby RogerWood » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:32 pm

If remember correctly john, it was coronation weekend. Outside number 11 Ffaldau Tce. Carl and Winny Babay's.
Olwen Maltby on the left and Steve with the black hat. They had the petrol station (Clerks) in the 70's.
Olwen has Gorden by the hand (in the second pic). He still lives in "the big white house" Rondda Rd, as far as I know.
Never knew who the pirate was.
Brian Thomas with the dummy and his wife Mair. She's still there at number 15. Still plays Golf.
My mum as the gangsters moll. My dad with too much lippy and Raffia wig. My sister Elaine with the grass skirt
and skin soaked with gravy browning. Me with the Fez. Alec Maltby with the turban.
Don't remember the blacked up person. Might have been from number 13.
Next door Leaving, with his trilby on, was Reese Jones, Geography teacher in GS while we were there.
Never knew his wifes name.
RogerWood

Next

Return to General