Diamond Jubilee

A general discussion forum for Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach. If you can't find another suitable forum on ferndale-wales for what you want to say, post your message in here.

Diamond Jubilee

Postby brianblaenboy » Fri May 25, 2012 6:27 pm

Apart from the hype and non-stop coverage of this remarkable event - only the second one in our nation's history - just think of the items that were not plentiful or even invented then.
The obvious one is the computer - but were credit cards available then? As a lot of people bought a television to watch the Coronation in 1953, were there many in Ferndale before that???
I believe our Sovereign has seen far more changes due to the rampant advance of modern technology than Queen Victoria.
I know I was in the Junior School and I remember we had to walk to the top of North Road to line the road when the Queen drove through our valley.
brianblaenboy

Re: Diamond Jubilee

Postby mamgu01 » Tue May 29, 2012 12:36 am

My aunty Eirwen was one of the first to have a TV in Ferndale, I am not sure of the year but she dies of TB when I was 10
years old, the kids in the street would come in to watch Muffin the Mule, does anyone remember Muffin the Mule ? :lol:
mamgu01

TV

Postby RogerWood » Tue May 29, 2012 9:38 am

Friday and five to five, that meant only one thing, "???????????"
Eamonn Andrews Presented it.
'Double or Drop', cabbages and pencils.

Can you remember what it was called ?
RogerWood

Postby darran » Tue May 29, 2012 1:39 pm

Crackerjack!

Sheila
darran

Postby brianblaenboy » Tue May 29, 2012 6:06 pm

My parents had not got a TV before I joined the Army, so I've never been a TV addict to this day. However, don't ask me the year, but I do remember rushing round Blaenllechau delivering the Echo on a Saturday night, so that I ended up in my friend's house to watch 6 - 5 special. Does "Don Lang" ring any bells, folks?
brianblaenboy

Postby lovelygirll » Tue May 29, 2012 8:16 pm

Oh yes! He sang the theme tune to six 5 special I think - I can see it now - 'six five special coming down the line!!'
lovelygirll

Return to General