"Stella" fan seeking info

A general discussion forum for Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach. If you can't find another suitable forum on ferndale-wales for what you want to say, post your message in here.

"Stella" fan seeking info

Postby Gary1970 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:02 am

Greetings from Kent.

My wife and I are "Stella" fans and would like to visit your very picturesque town in the not too distant future.
We did this a few years back in Barry, on a small "Gavin and Stacey" tour.

Locating Stella's house wasn't too difficult on Google Maps and I see you have pointed out a few other locations on another "Stella" thread.

One particular site I'd like to locate is the bench on the hillside overlooking the town which features regularly in the program.
How would I get there?

Any other general places of interest in the area would be greatly appreciated too.

Thank you

Gary
Gary1970

Re: "Stella" fan seeking info

Postby darran » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:04 pm

There is a good overall view of Ferndale from up the Llanwonno road from Blaenllechau, near to the large coal tip. Can't remember if it was used on Stella!
Another view is from Park Road which leads off Brynhyfryd Terrace. The view I do remember from Stella where there was a bench was overlooking part of Tylorstown, Pontygwaith and Stanleytown and not Ferndale at all - could have been from Penrhys Road.

Hopefully, someone else will post with a better memory!!

Sheila
darran

Postby GaryLockyer » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:08 am

We are a little behind the times here in Oz. Only viewed the programme recently.
The view from the bench is filmed just off Llanwonno Road STANLEYTOWN near Ty Mynydd Farm. It looks across to Penrhys and back up the valley through Tylorstown.
There is no bench there - it had to have been a prop - especially with the carved initials of Rob and Stella on there.
It would have been a fair old walk for the daughter pushing the pram after the recent arrival of the baby, just to share her exam results with Stella. (All "C"s wasn't it?)
Fancy a stroll from Pine St to Stanleytown anyone?
I have a lot of fun spotting the locations by using Google maps but the one I have not been able to locate yet is the street used a few times which has a railing along one side and the houses all seem to have front gardens. They used it for the scenes after Stella had spent her first night Sh...ing and when she met the lady with the pram and said 'wouldn't YOU like to c..king know".
I think the street must not be in the Rhondda Fach.
Any one have any ideas?
Gary
GaryLockyer

Postby JohnPitt » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:42 am

What I would like to know is if and when it gets to be shown on a non-Sky channel?

All I have is the Utube clips - perhaps they say a lot about locations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3D75bNV ... re=related

Maerdy reservoir? * North Road * Ferndale Cemetry? * Rhondda Terrace? * Ty Mynydd
JohnPitt

Return to General