Street view

A general discussion forum for Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach. If you can't find another suitable forum on ferndale-wales for what you want to say, post your message in here.

Re: Street view

Postby darran » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:55 pm

But do you remember what the inside of the old Co-op was like? Different departments! There was a furniture section, clothing etc.

Sheila
darran

Postby howard » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:00 pm

I only vaguely remember the pet shop but the Maypole was lower down towards the laundry.
Aside from the Co-op, Thomas & Evans just opposite Barclays bank was a leading grocer, visiting
homes all over Ferndale to take down customer orders.It must have been the only Ferndale shop with had an overhead
wiring system for delivering cash and change to and from the different counters from a central cashiers.

Howard
howard

Postby fernowna » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:52 am

Just got through looking at Google Street View of Ferndale and Blaenllecchau, interesting to see all the changes over the years. I seem to remember that there was ''Home and Colonial'' store and the grassed area opposite the old ''Bertorell's fish shop was where the ''Vic'' or Victoria Pub was. Also the Chinese laundry was called ''Yee Kee's I think . Good website for Expats.
fernowna

Postby Dorita » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:34 am

I think that in the 40's that shop was a general grocers where they sold sugar by the pound and weighed and patted butter and wrapped it up in greasproof. Good fun to watch if you were 6 or 7 ish.I don't recall the name of it. They also sold their ice creams
Dorita

Postby mamgu01 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:58 pm

You're right John, next to the Bazaar was the pet shop (later), then Home & Colonial and Maypole was further
down in the next street where Harriets was on the corner, wasn't there another shop next door to the Maypole
called Gwaliers (grocery shop) and didn't the owner have something to do with the Workman's Hall, a relative
working there or something like that? When I went to the "lower school" the shop next to the Bazaar (not a pet shop then)
used to sell bits of material for a penny which me and Julie Taylor would buy and take to school on Friday and sew
up a dress for our dolls, anyone remember that shop? I can't remember what else they sold or the name of it.
mamgu01

Postby mamgu01 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:01 pm

You're right John, next to the Bazaar was the pet shop (later), then Home & Colonial and Maypole was further
down in the next street where Harriets was on the corner, wasn't there another shop next door to the Maypole
called Gwaliers (grocery shop) and didn't the owner have something to do with the Workman's Hall, a relative
working there or something like that? When I went to the "lower school" the shop next to the Bazaar (not a pet shop then)
used to sell bits of material for a penny which me and Julie Taylor would buy and take to school on Friday and sew
up a dress for our dolls, anyone remember that shop? I can't remember what else they sold or the name of it.

Ann
mamgu01

Previous

Return to General