Dew it's hot,here too!!

A general discussion forum for Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach. If you can't find another suitable forum on ferndale-wales for what you want to say, post your message in here.

Dew it's hot,here too!!

Postby fernowna » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:20 am

Hi fellow Ferndalians
Here am I in the middle of an Okanagan Valley Summer which is in the southern Interior of British Columbia, Canada, it is an arid dry climate and the temperatures are between 35-37 deg. C. There is a lot of fruit grown here such as cherries, grapes, peaches,apricots, necterines, plums,apples,pears etc. with the aid of irrigation, which is pumped from the Okanagan Lake.The lake is 75 miles long and provides drinking, swimming boating water. I know you are having a heatwave in Wales at the moment, but we get prolonged heatwaves every summer, we do need Air conditioners both in our homes and cars.
The Lions that I follow are the British Columbia Lions which play a hard type of Canadian Football(not soccer). I sing in a Barbershop Choir ,hike many canyons and hills, play PICKLEBALL which is a easy form of tennis.
website is <www.pickleballkelowna.com>and enjoy my 5 Canadian grandkids.
Just an insight to a former valley boy from Lake Street, Ferndale
fernowna

Re: Dew it's hot,here too!!

Postby lovelygirll » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:56 pm

Aren't you going to tell us who you are?

About 8 years ago I had a holiday to Canada and as part of our trip we stopped overnight in OKanagan - the hotel near the lake. It was a wonderful holiday and you are very lucky to be living in such a beautiful part of the world!
lovelygirll

Re: Dew it's hot,here too!!

Postby GaryLockyer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:29 am

It may be warm in Canukland at the moment but it can get damn cold too. I have been watching Holmes on Homes on cable TV here in Oz which is a Canada made programme. The show demonstrates the eternal problems with waterproofing, damp and insulation that occur in Canadian housing. (Probably due to them not having and decent roofing systems to start with - only that shingle sheeting stuff they use).
Anyway, it is great that you are all getting a little bit of our weather in the northern hemisphere.
It was strange - referring back to my post about going to the Sydney Rugby Club pre Lions match - I was not only wearing my red jumper, but had a fleecy jacket over it as I thought it was on the cold side. It was actually 23 centigrade that day but chilly. The Welsh girls I was speaking to thought that it was a nice summer's day and were in red Lions shirts and not feeling the cold in the least. On the other hand, I have become so acclimatised to the great weather here that once it goes below 28c everyone -me included -start whinging. Also, if it rains for 2 days here, everyone is moaning about the 'terrible' weather we are getting and wondering if it is ever going to stop. None so strange as folk!.
Now, back to Ferndale - Lake Street. Which end? what era? Did (do) you remember Valerie Thomas, lived just around the corner from the Con Club. More info please - as Mary asked.
GaryLockyer

Return to General