The Italian Job

A general discussion forum for Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach. If you can't find another suitable forum on ferndale-wales for what you want to say, post your message in here.

The Italian Job

Postby daveporthcawl » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:44 pm

Bracchi Shops
The Bracchi's Café at Tonypandy was established in 1890's and was the first Italian shop to trade in the Rhondda Valleys. Thereafter all Italian cafes were referred to as "Bracchi's, and all those immigrants came from the small town of Bardi in Northern Italy. My memories of these shops in Ferndale go back to the 1940s. The cafes were Fecci’s, Gazzi’s, Bachigalupo’s and Gambarini’s. The two fish and chip shops were Bertorelli’s and Pesci’s. The latter had the sign “PESCI”, but that is the Italian for “FISH”. I am unsure as to whether that was Sam’s real surname. I was in the same school year as Louis Bertorelli and Bruno Bachigalupo.
Fecci’s did a roaring trade on Sunday evenings when most of the local girls and boys paraded up and down High Street and then congregated for coffee dashes in the café. The town had a real buzz in those days. Chocolate was rationed, and one could get a 2 oz bar for one D Coupon or a 4 oz for an E Coupon.
In the 60s the Bertorellis moved to Bridgend and opened the Windsor Fish Bar, and Gildo Fecci set up the Adare Café nearby. The Bachigalupos became confectionery wholesalers in Cardiff.
What happened in the 50s?
Dave
daveporthcawl

Re: The Italian Job

Postby darran » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:14 pm

I see on street view that the Strand fish and chip shop is Margaritelli's. It just seems a familiar name - were they there in the 1950's/60's?

Sheila
darran

Postby JohnPitt » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:22 am

daveporthcawl wrote:Bracchi Shops
The Bracchi's Café at Tonypandy was established in 1890's and was the first Italian shop to trade in the Rhondda Valleys. Thereafter all Italian cafes were referred to as "Bracchi's, and all those immigrants came from the small town of Bardi in Northern Italy. My memories of these shops in Ferndale go back to the 1940s. The cafes were Fecci’s, Gazzi’s, Bachigalupo’s and Gambarini’s. The two fish and chip shops were Bertorelli’s and Pesci’s. The latter had the sign “PESCI”, but that is the Italian for “FISH”. I am unsure as to whether that was Sam’s real surname. I was in the same school year as Louis Bertorelli and Bruno Bachigalupo.
Fecci’s did a roaring trade on Sunday evenings when most of the local girls and boys paraded up and down High Street and then congregated for coffee dashes in the café. The town had a real buzz in those days. Chocolate was rationed, and one could get a 2 oz bar for one D Coupon or a 4 oz for an E Coupon.
In the 60s the Bertorellis moved to Bridgend and opened the Windsor Fish Bar, and Gildo Fecci set up the Adare Café nearby. The Bachigalupos became confectionery wholesalers in Cardiff.
What happened in the 50s?
Dave

There was a Tony Gazzi in my class here he is sporting a Ted style DA haircut (DA= duck's ass!)
Last edited by JohnPitt on Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnPitt

Postby darran » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:05 pm

Where are you in that photo John? Also,that's not Valerie Hughes on there. Roger Wood has got a lot of these Lower school and North Rd Infants photos on his web site. Perhaps he'll give a link to them again for those who didn't see them on the old Ferndale web site.

For Roger - Could you please tell me the name of the teacher on one of those photos of yours - a Class 5M with you in it? John Pitt-Francis is also in it.

Sheila
darran

Postby JohnPitt » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:46 pm

darran wrote:Where are you in that photo John?

I'm actually away sick on this one!

Also,that's not Valerie Hughes on there.

Lots of ommissions and some mistakes in the 56/7 & 57/8 groups

1/ I think Stuart Murphy is right next to Head Mr Howells
2/ The girl next to Miss Williams our teacher is Elaine White I believe and below her Lynne Edwards
3/ The girl next to Mr Howells is Jennifer (Jones I think) I was sweet on her but she never knew!

Roger Wood has got a lot of these Lower school and North Rd Infants photos on his web site. Perhaps he'll give a link to them again for those who didn't see them on the old Ferndale web site.

He got some of them from me! the link came off this forum.
Anyway, you can get the index by scrubbing off Picture%20004.jpg from the url
For Roger - Could you please tell me the name of the teacher on one of those photos of yours - a Class 5M with you in it? John Pitt-Francis is also in it.

Sheila

This class was a motley mixture of the rising class 4 and the 11+ fails from 5W young enough to do a resit.

The Teacher charged with making it a success was a Hard nosed disciplinarian - Mr Edwards
For me his efforts paid off and I was able to go grammar instead of "secondary modern" His words will for-ever ring in my ears

"Look Francis don't think you're a genius just because I shoved you through"
JohnPitt

Postby JohnPitt » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:28 am

Oh and I have a nagging idea that the girl between Rob Voyle and Dennis Jones is a Bertorelli - can anyone confirm that? note: Mochyn says she is Janet Gamlin and I believe he is right
and are you the Sheila Morris on the 55/6 group Sheila?
Last edited by JohnPitt on Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnPitt

Postby darran » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:43 pm

Yes, that's me!

So many of those faces are familiar even after all this time but it's the names that are elusive - except for many in my class. I gave Roger many of the names a few years ago. I know I have a Darran Infants photo somewhere, I'll have to dig it out.

Sheila
darran

Postby JohnPitt » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:51 am

darran wrote:Yes, that's me!

OK! so I'm wondering whether that makes you the girl below Alan Powell in the 57/8 photo?

So many of those faces are familiar even after all this time but it's the names that are elusive - except for many in my class.

Well If it is you, you are sitting next to Doris Haycox who is sitting next to Rita Anstey.
A couple of names that just popped up!

I gave Roger many of the names a few years ago. I know I have a Darran Infants photo somewhere, I'll have to dig it out.

Sheila

Well I've got a North Road Infants photo that isn't in this set so will try and set up a link for it
JohnPitt

Postby darran » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:12 am

No, not me, I'm only on the one photo.

Sheila
darran

Postby RogerWood » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:52 pm

darran wrote:Where are you in that photo John? Also,that's not Valerie Hughes on there. Roger Wood has got a lot of these Lower school and North Rd Infants photos on his web site. Perhaps he'll give a link to them again for those who didn't see them on the old Ferndale web site.

Sheila

Here's the link to them all:- http://www.rogerwood.talktalk.net/Schoo ... school.htm

And the teachers name..........................................I called him Sir.
RogerWood

Next

Return to General