The Italian Job

A general discussion forum for Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach. If you can't find another suitable forum on ferndale-wales for what you want to say, post your message in here.

Re: The Italian Job

Postby darran » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:42 pm

Of course!
darran

Postby bouncer » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:37 pm

JohnPitt wrote:
There was a Tony Gazzi in my class here he is sporting a Ted style DA haircut (DA= duck's ass!)

the tall girl on the right with the fuzzy hair is Janet Gamlin
bouncer

Postby JohnPitt » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:02 pm

That sounds a familiar name. How did you know (of) her?
JohnPitt

Postby JohnPitt » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:18 pm

Not all the Italians went into the Cafe business - came across a picture of Tony Gazzi riding the mine conveyor some 28 years ago making him (probably) around 36 years old. I wonder what he did when Maerdy closed at the end of the decade
JohnPitt

Postby daveporthcawl » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:53 pm

To return to the original theme............one peculiar local oddity about fish and chips is that the splendid combination was termed a DOUBLER in Ferndale, Blaen, Maerdy and Tylorstown. Go further down the Rhondda Fach and the term was not used. Around 1940 the doubler cost 3 old pence............2d for fish and 1d for the chips. The chips could be supplemented by asking for free helpings of SCRIMPS......bits of batter which has fallen off the fried fish. Nobody knew or cared about cholesterol in those days and the wartime rations ( 2 ozs butter per week) proved to be healthier in many ways than the Greaseburgers of today.
Daveporthcawl
daveporthcawl

Postby JohnPitt » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:59 am

Wasn't the doubler a particular fish cut? I seem to remember that it was actually cutlet & chips. The cutlet actually died out and with it the term doubler.

Hake seemed to be the staple fish in those days, and that was the fish that was chopped across as a cutlet. Later, Cod, came along as a slightly less expensive fish choice but I don't think these were ever cut into cutlets rather than fillets.
JohnPitt

Postby daveporthcawl » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:34 pm

Thanks John. Your many contributions to the Forum are much appreciated. You are quite right in saying that hake was the main (perhaps the only) fish available in the forties and that the cutlets comprised most of that splendid fish. I can remember my mother usually requesting the tail fillet.......also part of the "doubler". Our nearest fish and chip shop was a front room in Elm Street, owned by Howell and Madge Evans assisted by daughters Olga and Marie. Nearly opposite was a small shop owned by Cad Jones who also had a small bakery at the back.
Can remember a fish vendor calling round the streets in the late 30s with a horse-drawn cart lit by oil lamps
Dave
daveporthcawl

Postby brianblaenboy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:44 pm

Roger, - thanks for the photos you've allowed us to look at - very many names from the past. Some-one has placed a name on "Michael Holden"? - I think that is Michael Hudson whose brother Alan also went to grammar school.

I don't recall the fish and chip shop in Elm Street (blaen boy that's why), but I do remember the name Cad Jones and his little shop - it was opposite where my Dad's cousin lived. Does anyone remember William John Evans in the little blue disabled car in Elm Street - he also repaired umbrellas. William John was the son of Mary Ann Evans who lived in Oak street with son Gwilym and daughter Olwen, who both had "clubfoot and a hump on their back" - apologies for this description, it is the kindest way I could think of. Mary Ann was my grandmother's older sister. Gwilym was the Rhondda Leader correspondent for Ferndale at one time and I think the family were regulars at Trerhondda Chapel. Useless information, but perhaps a little of Ferndale History coming to light.

Many thanks to one and all - I'm still looking through various items to see if there is anything else of note to put on here.

TTFN

Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby JohnPitt » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:18 pm

brianblaenboy wrote:Roger, - thanks for the photos you've allowed us to look at - very many names from the past. Some-one has placed a name on "Michael Holden"? - I think that is Michael Hudson whose brother Alan also went to grammar school.
Brian

Didn't know the guy myself, but the photo tagged in FGS 1960 Facebook photo 5 sure looks the same as Roger's Juniors 3 called Michael Holden
and could it also be the guy I've just tagged in the FGS 1957 Facebook photo 18?
Last edited by JohnPitt on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnPitt

Postby RogerWood » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:53 am

JohnPitt wrote:
brianblaenboy wrote:Roger, - thanks for the photos you've allowed us to look at - very many names from the past. Some-one has placed a name on "Michael Holden"? - I think that is Michael Hudson whose brother Alan also went to grammar school.
Brian

Didn't know the guy myself, but the photo tagged in FGS 1960 Facebook photo 5 sure looks the same as Rodger's Juniors 3 called Michael Holden
and could it also be the guy I've just tagged in the FGS 1957 Facebook photo 18?

Who's this "Rodger" you keep talking about ?
I think the GS photos are of Mike Hudson
I will get around altering the Junior school photo.
RogerWood

PreviousNext

Return to General