GRAMMAR SCHOOL PHOTO

A general discussion forum for Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach. If you can't find another suitable forum on ferndale-wales for what you want to say, post your message in here.

GRAMMAR SCHOOL PHOTO

Postby TooGoodToWaste » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:38 am

Hi All,

We are a charity organisation in Ynyshir who clear houses and sell on second hand furniture and used items (www.toogoodtowaste.org)

As you can imagine we come across a lot of stuff, some that are quite interesting. We found two framed pictures of the whole school children from 1947 and 1951. These are not really of much use to us and would like to give them back to whatever school it would be now.

If anyone has any suggestions of who I could contact to offer these photos to the school, that would be great.

Thanks

Dan
TooGoodToWaste

Re: GRAMMAR SCHOOL PHOTO

Postby darran » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:39 pm

Hi Dan

If they are grammar school photos then I would think they would probably be the old Porth Grammar school or Porth County grammar school. These were both on Cemetery Road in Porth and amalgamated to become the comprehensive school on the old Porth County site. However, if the photos include boys and girls then it wouldn't have been Porth County. It could also be Ferndale grammar school - again both boys and girls probably. Are they definitely Rhondda grammar schools?
I'm not sure who you could contact - would the schools have archive photos? How about Treorchy library where much archive material is kept and they have a very helpful staff for that side of things. They might in fact want them for their records.

It would be good for the photos to go somewhere worthwhile and I'm glad you care they do.

Sheila
darran

Postby TooGoodToWaste » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:03 am

Thanks.

We have 4 framed pictures: Tonypandy Secondary Grammar School (1947)
Ferndale Secondary Grammar School (1947 and 1951)
Rhonnda County Grammar School for Boys (1962)

I'll try and conatact local libraries and council.

Dan
TooGoodToWaste

Postby JohnPitt » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:53 am

Good move Dan - you are clearly living up to your name!

What do you do with old 'snaps' left behind in draws etc?
JohnPitt

Return to General