A general discussion forum for Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach. If you can't find another suitable forum on ferndale-wales for what you want to say, post your message in here.

Postby brianblaenboy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:14 pm

My very best wishes to everyone for 2016, a Leap Year as well.

Thanks to Mochyn for his work keeping this site going.

Brian
brianblaenboy

Re: 2016

Postby mochyn » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:54 pm

Happy new year to you too. Virtually no effort at all required to keep the site running by the way and, in any case, I get a lot more out of it that I put in, so I'm pleased to be able to run it.
Mochyn Administrator for: http://forum.ferndale-wales.co.uk/
mochyn
Site Admin

Postby GaryCLockyer » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:29 am

Hi everyone, I'm baaa-aack.
Sorry for the long absence but since retirement started in Oct 2014 quite a few things have changed.
We have moved to the coast, an hour's drive north of Sydney.
With all of the upheaval I changed my computer and it came with Windows 10.
Don't know if you are aware but Windows 10 does not support the older email outlook express or any of my other addresses.
I had to change to garylockyer@outlook.com and then I could not get at my old stuff.
Anyway, when I went to activate my login here it didn't work and the system would not recognise my new address.
So I am now GaryCLockyer and can get in once more.

A very belated Happy New Year, and a more current Happy Chinese New Year to all.
Looking through all of the boards it seems that the last 12 months have been very quiet.
There posts have been few and far between.
Where is everyone?

What is happening in Ferndale?

I was aghast to see that The Rhondda Hotel has been turned into 3 houses and there is now only 1 pub in Ferndale - there used to be at least 5 from memory.
The Duff, The Vic, The Ferndale, The Rhondda, The Maxwell then The Salisbury on the way to Blaen.
Have you reintroduced temperance as a way of life in the valleys? or is beer getting too expensive?

I hope all of you regulars - Sheila, John, Brian, Mike Tamplin are well.
I have often wanted to put a post on about the snow, but left off doing it to keep Roger's memory on our front page.

How about some updates from the Valleys again to keep the visitors happy?

Good luck for 2016

Gary :lol:
GaryCLockyer

Postby brianblaenboy » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:05 pm

Good'day Gary, welcome back, I'm sure your absence has been noted by others as well as me.

Computers and the whole packages that people talk about is totally beyond me, I manage to make posts like this, but the jargon people use is like a foreign language. The best memory I have for how computers will improve our working lives was when I worked in London in the 70's. The salesman said, and I quote, "You will reduce the number of hours you currently spend on administration and it will cut paperwork massively!" What a joke!

I've not been home for about 5 years although I did go to Brecon last month for the Annual Rorke's Drift Service and lunch in the Barracks.

By the way, you missed the Anchor from the pubs, it was really called the Commercial, at the bottom of North Road.

I'm not sure what has happened to Ferndale Rugby Club which took over the old Salisbury, They demolished the old building and built a decent replacement which, in my opinion, was just the place Ferndale needed, but I believe that the lack of support resulted in it being placed on the market! Hopefully some one closer than me will know the current situation.

Just watched the Wales and Scotland game, Wales won 27 -23.

Best wishes,

Brian
brianblaenboy

Return to General