70yrs ago

A general discussion forum for Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach. If you can't find another suitable forum on ferndale-wales for what you want to say, post your message in here.

70yrs ago

Postby eirwen » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:08 am

When I lived at 93 Duffryn Street 70 odd years ago two stories have always stuck in my mind.On the way to Blaenllechau in the river was a whirlpool.The story was a young boy fell in and was drowned when divers went in to locate the boy they saw huge trout before they located the boy. The other story was in one of the quarries up the mountain there was a large square shaped boulder and that underneath was the body of the person it has fallen on. At the time I believed both stories, has anyone else ever heard of them. Eirwen
eirwen

Re: 70yrs ago

Postby brianblaenboy » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:33 am

I seem to remember the story of the boy falling in the river, but not the trout, but there again, the river was black in those days. The only story of the cliff area on the road from Blaenllechau to Llanwonno I do know of is that a child from George Street followed his brother(s) up there and fell off and died.
There again, 70 years ago I was still a baby?
B rian
brianblaenboy

Return to General