Up the mountain

A general discussion forum for Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach. If you can't find another suitable forum on ferndale-wales for what you want to say, post your message in here.

Up the mountain

Postby darran » Sun May 23, 2010 10:26 am

In this warm weather I miss the proximity of the mountains and their open space. Here in the south of England there is nowhere comparable to get away from everyone and everything and, best of all, just 2 minutes away from the back door as it was in Darran Terrace.

Sheila
darran

Re: Up the mountain

Postby daveporthcawl » Mon May 24, 2010 2:04 pm

Old Ferndalians will agree with Sheila that the “mountains” above Ferndale and Blaen were very special. We took them for granted in our younger days and enjoyed the freedom to roam which was denied to urban kids.

However, Forum readers will be miffed to hear that the process to infest Bristol Tump with wind turbines is again on the cards.

Click here: WalesOnline - News - South Wales Valleys - Rhondda - Work starts on Ferndale windfarm
Copy "WalesOnline - News - South Wales Valleys - Rhondda - Work starts on Ferndale windfarm"
into GOOGLE
This is part of the Grand Plan of the Welsh Assembly Government to cover many of our hills with these eyesores in the daft belief that they will “combat climate change”. Anyone who is inclined to support these monoliths should read the excellent book THE WIND FARM SCAM by John Etherington, which exposes the futility of these developments.

Regards Dave
daveporthcawl

Postby darran » Mon May 24, 2010 9:10 pm

That is dreadful. Another beautiful landscape ruined for a futile gesture as far as I am concerned. The Bristol Tump - or very near to it -spoiled.
darran

Postby JohnPitt » Wed May 26, 2010 7:58 pm

Horrors
JohnPitt

Postby Dorita » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:50 pm

What a terrible thought.The Triffids have arrived. I'd have nightmares if I lived there now
Dorita

Postby RogerWood » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:03 am

I remember the horror when they built the flying saucers (Water Towers) behind our house in Ffaldau.
If you look on street view you can see what I mean. Street view goes half way behind Ffaldau and ends just about our house.
RogerWood

Postby bouncermk2 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:08 pm

I hope not - both my parents ashes are scattered up on the Bristol Tump
bouncermk2

Postby AshleyThomas » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:42 pm

This is a great web site which has brought back many happy memories of growing up in Ferndale. As kids we often made expeditions up the mountains with favourite destinations being Llanwynno, via the incline, and Bristol Tump. Ah happy days!
AshleyThomas

Postby JohnPitt » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:47 pm

Thanks for that, Ashley let us know your favorite haunts.

Here's some of mine (as they were in the 1950's):-

1/ The ' levels' above Park Road some of these amateur mines left from the 1926 strike had subsidence and we managed to get into part of the shaft!

2/ An even better find well above Aberdare Road Blaen with a long sloping shaft still with some tram fitments right down to the 'face' but they had not reached coal - gee that must have been a disappointment to some desperate miners.

3/ 'The Dell' a wooded mini-valley after the farm on the Llanwonno road one of the few natural woods left I discovered wild watercress here and it sold very well door to door 6d a bunch!

4/ Walking from Park road to 'St Mary's well' passing the old Penrhys farm before it became a council estate and before the well became a coach destination for endless pilgrims.

5/ Cycling down to Stanleytown then to Ynysybwl via Llanwonno and back via Blaen

6/ Discovering the half finished winding house at the mountain top above Ferndale pit.
JohnPitt

Postby brianblaenboy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:16 pm

Yes John, the mountains were our playground, certainly burnt off the calories in those days. What about collecting winberries at the top of the mountain above Blaen, we even had sandwiches and a drink to take with us and I can't remember the containers my mother gave me.
I went over to Brecon/Crickhowell/Ystradfellte on youth hostelling trips, both cycling and walking...............you would hardly see a car on the road in those days, wonderful memories.

Brian
brianblaenboy

Next

Return to General