Rhondda Terrace

A general discussion forum for Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach. If you can't find another suitable forum on ferndale-wales for what you want to say, post your message in here.

Re: Rhondda Terrace

Postby GaryLockyer » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:11 am

Didn't was also used to call the climb down into the top of the park Jacob's Ladder as well as Devils' ladder?

Hello Ann - mamgu - who is your cousin living in Rhondda Tce, and how long have they lived there?
It may be another name to add to my list.
Gary :P
GaryLockyer

Postby mamgu01 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:45 am

Hi Gary.
Her name is Lynne, her husband is David, they have lived there for about 10 years (I think)
they moved there from Tylorstown, they are about half way down from the hill that goes up
to the school. Lynne is a second cousin to Alun Arwel Clement, do you know her? Alun's grandfather
and Lynne's grandfather were brothers.

Ann Bishop (nee Llewellyn)
Expat from Ferndale.
mamgu01

Postby darran » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:33 am

Hello Ann

I wondered if it was you as you contributed to the old Ferndale website!

Sheila
darran

Postby JohnPitt » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:00 pm

mamgu01 wrote:.........
Ann Bishop (nee Llewellyn)
Expat from Ferndale.

Hi Ann have you any connection with the Llewellyn's of New Street? Just wondered
JohnPitt

Postby mamgu01 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:16 pm

Hi Sheila.
Yes that's me, I was on the "old" site, I'm glad that this site has started up.

No John, no connection to the Llewellyn's in New Street, mine came from
Cardiff to Tylorstown, and my Davies's were from Blaen to Frederick Steet.

Sheila, did the Welhams in Darren live in the first house on the flat part of
Darran, opposite the school? I think my aunty Kitty and uncle Frank lived with
them before they moved to Frederick Street, uncle Frank was related to them
somehow.

Ann
mamgu01

Postby darran » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:19 pm

Yes, Ann, they did. It was No 24 and I remember Joyce Welham their daughter. 'Bouncer' on this group lived a No 25 so maybe he'd remember your relatives.

Sheila
darran

Postby JohnPitt » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:33 pm

JohnPitt wrote:I'm on the hunt for my 1960 photo-roll of the whole Grammar school that year that will get a few memory cells going.
I remember "Tich" [that makes 3 teachers so far by the name Jones!] I think he just made the 1960 photo as did the new Physics teacher (name?) and later T G Phelps - maths.

Ah! so I don't need to find it 'cos Rodger has it up on the 'log in' thread already! Thanks Rodger thanks Gary.

This photo needs to go up on facebook so it can be tagged properly. Any way, here's a start.
Teachers: going left from Head Emrys Howells:
1/ Mrs Lewis (English)
2/ Beryl Williams(French)
3/ ? (Domestic science)
4/ Miss M Lewis (Biology)
5/ Miss Turner (English)
6/ Maud ? (History)
7/ Olive Phillips (Latin)

Teachers: going right from Head Emrys Howells:
1/ Mr W Jones (Maths) - 'Titch'
2/ ? (Craft)
3/ ? (?)
4/ W. M. Lloyd (Geography)
5/ Brymor Jones ( ? )
6/ Ken J Harper (History)
7/ Cyril Melmouth) (Chemistry)
8/ ?
9/ ?
10/ Mal Jones (P.E)
11/ ? (Art I think)
14/ Mel Brown (?) (Physics)

Nobody has mentioned Mr Miles (Physics) lovely guy from the 'old school' (literally - he retired in my first year).
When he did the experiment linking two soap bubbles, [a large and a not-so-large joined by a tube which had a tap in the middle].
Here's a good question, can anybody remember:

1/ What you would naturally expect to happen when the tap was opened.
2/ What actually happened to the 2 bubbles?
3/ Having Observed it Mr Miles asked what Bible quote it reminded them of?

Can anybody answer these 3 questions?? :geek:

Ah well nobody is going to come up with this one

1/ The bubbles equalize
2/ One bubble (the smaller) goes down to zero pushing all the air into the larger!
3/ Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents. For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath. Matt 25:29
JohnPitt

Postby JohnPitt » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:14 pm

More photo identities:-

Above Ken Harper (but one} myself next on right Barrie Davies, left John Richardson, next Aaron Evans.

Now go to the end of the first building on the left of photo, (so you're counting about 15 heads on the top row), follow the corner down to the 6th formers and you have Wendy Phillips. Follow the second row near top going right you have Janet Gamlin, Jennifer Hall, Mair Hughes.

Aaron and Mair were an item all through school - I wonder whether they tied the knot?

Go to the far right of photo; top row on the end Malcolm Lewis of ( Lewis Bakery Tylerstown)

Bottom row seated with the 6th formers, but actually in my year, Norman Harris who had haemophillia, and came to school in a taxi and used a wheel chair. We were good friends, and would love to know if he is still around. He used to live in Prospect Place, Treorchy.

Above PT teacher (but one) Dianne Phillips (right) Mair Davies (left)

Finally for now, above Mr Jones (Titch) (but one) "Slush" (forgotten his real rame!) next Malcolm Hughes, next Stephen Tilling.
JohnPitt

Postby brianblaenboy » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:09 pm

If I still had my copy of the photo, I could be more specific about those people I remember, but two of those standing at the right hand edge are Glenn Biddle and Jeffrey Williams, both in my form year.
At the end of the teachers is my brother David (with glasses), who was the Chem Lab assistant at the time.
brianblaenboy

Postby Lennie » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:05 pm

On the 1960 Ferndale Grammer photo. I didn't start there until 1963 but some of the teachers were still there when I started, some not.
The art teacher was known as Tommy, so assume his name was Mr Thomas.
Two of the teachers sitting together - one is Miss Llewelyn (Scripture - known as Daphne). I was so afraid of her!!!!
I saw here about 2 years ago in Tesco and she was instantly recognisable, just older.
She was so charming and loved remincing on those days.
The other is Mrs Hopkins (Geography - known as Hoppy Geog)
Lennie

PreviousNext

Return to General