Rhondda Terrace

A general discussion forum for Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach. If you can't find another suitable forum on ferndale-wales for what you want to say, post your message in here.

Re: Rhondda Terrace

Postby JohnPitt » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:04 am

Lennie wrote:On the 1960 Ferndale Grammer photo. I didn't start there until 1963 but some of the teachers were still there when I started, some not.
The art teacher was known as Tommy, so assume his name was Mr Thomas.

Mr Thomas sounds right to me.

Two of the teachers sitting together - one is Miss Llewelyn (Scripture - known as Daphne). I was so afraid of her!!!!
I saw here about 2 years ago in Tesco and she was instantly recognisable, just older.
She was so charming and loved remincing on those days.
The other is Mrs Hopkins (Geography - known as Hoppy Geog)

Ah! you've remembered two of the lady teachers I couldn't remember - Hoppy was a great geog teacher.

We had Daphne for her first term as scripture teacher. It was very easy to get her to laugh and by December she had an unruly class and seemed unable to exert her authority.
After Christmas what a difference! She had clearly taken advice and changed her style completely - jokes were definitely a no no and just about everything else was a no nonsense approach - she rarely showed that softer side we had seen in those first few months.
Sorry Lennie looks like it was our fault :evil:

You say you saw her in Tesco recently - does that mean you still live in Rhonnda?
JohnPitt

Postby Lennie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:56 pm

No, I'm living in Cardiff now. 'Daphne' must live somewhere in this area.
I've seen her with her sister there a few times.
She said her first term in Ferndale Grammer was a nightmare and found it difficult to
control the class, so decided on a new approach - one that definelty worked, you could hear a pin drop in her class.
I used to hate new terms with her as we always had something new to learn. Names of the old testament, passages from the Bible etc, then all 30 of the class would be called individually to recite it - scarry days!!!!

I don't know the name of the domestic science teacher but I think her nickname was Lena. The girls played hell with her.
The Welsh teacher was known as Jenny Welsh but don't know if she's on the photo. When I started, allthough Mr Harper
was still there, there was a new history teacher for us, Mrs Hurton - I think her father was Idris the barber on High Street.
The woodwork teacher and deputy head was Tom (?) , but he retired the first year I was there.
I remember Mr Melmouth having 'ckeek' off one of the lads so he slapped him across the face - imagine that happening today.
Lennie

Postby RogerWood » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:30 pm

I remember a slap from Smellmouth, not me, Bob Hicks got one. Melmouth even took bobs glasses off, put them on his desk and slapped. I think bob was knocked off his stool.

Another time, Smelly again, got bob to take a big sniff from a gas jar of Amonia. It made him sick for the rest of the lesson.
RogerWood

Postby snooky » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:48 pm

my Auntie "MARY- ANNIE" Mason lived in Rhondda Terrace and cleaned in the Infants school opposite for years. What about Iris Brown , with her LONG grey plait???

I now I'm younger than most of you on here, but...I remember a lot of these people..."Bob" Hicks is now deceased, but his son lives on in Porth, and I met him "by accident" ayear or so ago, and he's as ameniable as his Dad was...:-)

For Gary's info....I am Jackie Hughes, and lived in Oakland Terrace...HAPPY DAYS :D

John ? lived in Tudor Street, he used to come to Penuel chapel....he was older than me , but younger than you Gary...LOL!
snooky

Postby GaryLockyer » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:39 am

Hi Jackie, glad to see you found this site and I certainly remember you -0 and your mum.
welcome - Gary
GaryLockyer

Postby brianblaenboy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:25 am

Jackie, your name rings a bell, which form were you in? In the thread "1960 Ferndale Grammar School Photo" I was in the form with Glenn Biddle; John Dunning etc etc etc.
Brian Evans
brianblaenboy

Postby JohnPitt » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:25 pm

Welcome snooky - what year were you in the 1960 photoroll? Can you point out your face?

snooky wrote:
I know I'm younger than most of you on here, but...I remember a lot of these people..."Bob" Hicks is now deceased ....

Gee was it sudden or was he ill? That's so upsetting I remember Robert well.

:shock:
JohnPitt

Postby GaryLockyer » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:07 am

Hi Brian, I think Jackie is a bit too young to be on this 1960 photo.
Snooky is about the same age as my cousin Kim Peacey, as they used to go around together quite a bit and I would be guessing that she was about 7 or 8 in 1960.
Yes John, it was a shame to hear about Robert Hicks.
John, any chance of you putting the 1960 photo roll that you have attached to your post on this thread dated 14th July, over onto the new thread that Brian started about it, pretty please?
Gary
GaryLockyer

Postby darran » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:56 pm

'there was a new history teacher for us, Mrs Hurton - I think her father was Idris the barber on High Street.'

Yes, she was Val James, daughter of Idris. Her sister Carol who was my age also taught History at Ferndale Grammar too I believe before becoming deputy head of a school over the other valley. She died 2 years ago.

Sheila
darran

Postby Becca54 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:41 pm

Lennie wrote:
The Welsh teacher was known as Jenny Welsh but don't know if she's on the photo.

Mrs Lewis, always had a hard time, though a lovely lady, I think she had Jethro to help a few times.
Becca54

PreviousNext

Return to General