Rhondda Terrace

A general discussion forum for Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach. If you can't find another suitable forum on ferndale-wales for what you want to say, post your message in here.

Re: Rhondda Terrace

Postby Gwaith » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:28 pm

Hello Ann,

As you see, I have managed to get into this site now. And having read all these stories, I have realised I made a mistake in my first post.

It was the Rhondda Hotel in which I spent my hen night in 1961. Not the Royal as I said. Senior moment :lol:

I had cousins living in Rhondda Terrace. If I am right this time, this is opposite the Imps. Club. :oops:

Thanks all, for triggering off my memories.

Maureen
Gwaith

Postby darran » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:06 pm

Hello Maureen and welcome,

I think you mean Rhondda Road - this is where the Imps club was/is. Rhondda Terrace is near Darran Park and the old Grammar school.

Sheila
darran

Postby mamgu01 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:48 am

Hi Maureen.
You mean Rhondda Road and not Rhondda Terrace, your MULLINS lived in Rhondda Road,
next to where I lived as a little girl, a long time ago !!!! and next door but one to Beryl (I think
her last name was EVANS), her father was Bryn the fireman or it may have been LEWIS -
seniors moment :D
mamgu01

jim salt did not marry diana rosser he married kathleen robe

Postby sapphire » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:36 pm

JohnPitt wrote:
GaryLockyer wrote:
If we had time, go right across the top of the park and climb down the devils ladder.

Gary

If you felt suicidal you could climb down 'angel's ladder' - but This was more of a sheer cliff face than any semblance of a ladder.

Whew
sapphire

Re:srry didnt complete kathleen roberts (Roberts The Butcher

Postby sapphire » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:45 pm

sorry didnt complete jim salt married kathleen roberts and they had 2 daughters one was in my daughters class in school diana rosser moved away from ferndale years ago the last i heard was that she had passed away (kathleen roberts) was roberts the butchers sister in law and she worked in the butchers for a while when she was married to jim
sapphire

Postby sapphire » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:09 pm

Becca54 wrote:
Lennie wrote:
The Welsh teacher was known as Jenny Welsh but don't know if she's on the photo.

Mrs Lewis, always had a hard time, though a lovely lady, I think she had Jethro to help a few times.

val hurton nee james and her sister carol james have both passed away val 2 years ago and carol 3 years ago val was the deputy head of ferndale comp
sapphire

Postby evandale » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:18 pm

Hello Gary,
Yes there were two climbs above the park, the Angel's ladder was for the people who wanted an easy climb,
and the Devil's ladder was for those who held no fear.
We both did a piece on the old Ferndale site. We both were employed at the " BOOKS", i was F.O.C.
Glad you are doing well in OZ.
Regards.
evandale

Postby GaryLockyer » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:27 am

Now you are dragging up some memories.
Ferndale Book Company - a division of Webb Son &Co Ltd of London.
Ron Godwin (Ronald DeVere Godwin if you want his correct name), was the managing director. He eventually married Doreen his long time secretary.
Mr Ralph the production director and his wife, the chargehand of placing.
John Manning the time and motion manager under whom I did my work study/ time and motion training. I went from there to become work study engineer for Christie Tyler.
That eventuated into me setting up production lines in new factories for Christie Tyler all around the country - from Consett in Co Durham to Long Eaton, Bridgend. etc.
Lots of other names spring to mind.
Olwen as chargehand of gathering, Mair in handfolding.
Glan in the warehouse. the two guys that travelled over from Merthyr every day - Louie and Bill. Tudor on the big bremmer folder that married Dianne. He was the one that lost a couple of fingers by trying to feed the book press UNDER the safety guard. (He was doing it to increase his bonus by shortening the time cycle that the press was set at). Val in packing from over Treorchy way.
Michael from Taff St that had tuna sandwiches every single day. I asked him about them once and he told me he didn,t even like tuna. I said to him "why not ask your mother for something different for a change". He said "Can't, I make them myself".
I always remember the son of old Mr Webb coming down to visit the factory in his Alvis. It was a big occasion each time he came down.
Now I will be thinking about them all day. :P
GaryLockyer

Postby GaryLockyer » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:30 am

Oops, I missed that bit about you being FOC - for those that do not know the printing world, the union is called The Chapel and the representative of the union is called the Father Of the Chapel - hence F.O.C.
You must have taken over from Cyril then?
GaryLockyer

Postby brianblaenboy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:46 pm

Mr & Mrs Ralph lived in North Roads, No 147? next door to Mr & Mrs Fox (Fox Bros) and a few doors from my parents. My late mother kept in touch with Mrs Ralph after they moved to the Midlands, and after Mr Ralph had passed away.
brianblaenboy

PreviousNext

Return to General