Rhondda Terrace

A general discussion forum for Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach. If you can't find another suitable forum on ferndale-wales for what you want to say, post your message in here.

Re: Rhondda Terrace

Postby GaryLockyer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:24 am

HI Jackie - snooky - thanks for the belated Xmas wishes -and yes we enjoyed it, even though it rained.
I just remembered that you did a post on here about Iris Brown (and her sister) with the looooonggg grey plait that she wore.
Such a small world, when the STELLA series uses theBrowns' house - No 27, as Stella's parents house. ( see my other location guesses on the STELLA threads).
Glad you are well - any idea how Kim Peacey (Parslow) is getting along?
IM me if you like.
Gary
GaryLockyer

Postby JohnPitt » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:20 am

evandale wrote:Hello Gary,
Yes there were two climbs above the park, the Angel's ladder was for the people who wanted an easy climb,
and the Devil's ladder was for those who held no fear.
We both did a piece on the old Ferndale site. We both were employed at the " BOOKS", i was F.O.C.
Glad you are doing well in OZ.
Regards.

H'm my recollection was the opposite:

Angel's ladder really scary
JohnPitt

Postby alithea » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:07 pm

GaryLockyer wrote:Now you are dragging up some memories.
Ferndale Book Company - a division of Webb Son &Co Ltd of London.
Ron Godwin (Ronald DeVere Godwin if you want his correct name), was the managing director. He eventually married Doreen his long time secretary.
Mr Ralph the production director and his wife, the chargehand of placing.
John Manning the time and motion manager under whom I did my work study/ time and motion training. I went from there to become work study engineer for Christie Tyler.
That eventuated into me setting up production lines in new factories for Christie Tyler all around the country - from Consett in Co Durham to Long Eaton, Bridgend. etc.
Lots of other names spring to mind.
Olwen as chargehand of gathering, Mair in handfolding.
Glan in the warehouse. the two guys that travelled over from Merthyr every day - Louie and Bill. Tudor on the big bremmer folder that married Dianne. He was the one that lost a couple of fingers by trying to feed the book press UNDER the safety guard. (He was doing it to increase his bonus by shortening the time cycle that the press was set at). Val in packing from over Treorchy way.
Michael from Taff St that had tuna sandwiches every single day. I asked him about them once and he told me he didn,t even like tuna. I said to him "why not ask your mother for something different for a change". He said "Can't, I make them myself".
I always remember the son of old Mr Webb coming down to visit the factory in his Alvis. It was a big occasion each time he came down.
Now I will be thinking about them all day. :P
alithea

webbs of Ferndale

Postby alithea » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:12 pm

GaryLockyer wrote:Now you are dragging up some memories.
Ferndale Book Company - a division of Webb Son &Co Ltd of London.
Ron Godwin (Ronald DeVere Godwin if you want his correct name), was the managing director. He eventually married Doreen his long time secretary.
Mr Ralph the production director and his wife, the chargehand of placing.
John Manning the time and motion manager under whom I did my work study/ time and motion training. I went from there to become work study engineer for Christie Tyler.
That eventuated into me setting up production lines in new factories for Christie Tyler all around the country - from Consett in Co Durham to Long Eaton, Bridgend. etc.
Lots of other names spring to mind.
Olwen as chargehand of gathering, Mair in handfolding.
Glan in the warehouse. the two guys that travelled over from Merthyr every day - Louie and Bill. Tudor on the big bremmer folder that married Dianne. He was the one that lost a couple of fingers by trying to feed the book press UNDER the safety guard. (He was doing it to increase his bonus by shortening the time cycle that the press was set at). Val in packing from over Treorchy way.
Michael from Taff St that had tuna sandwiches every single day. I asked him about them once and he told me he didn,t even like tuna. I said to him "why not ask your mother for something different for a change". He said "Can't, I make them myself".
I always remember the son of old Mr Webb coming down to visit the factory in his Alvis. It was a big occasion each time he came down.
Now I will be thinking about them all day. :P
alithea

Previous

Return to General