Where are you now?????

A general discussion forum for Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach. If you can't find another suitable forum on ferndale-wales for what you want to say, post your message in here.

Re: Where are you now?????

Postby brianblaenboy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:18 am

Roger, Mary has twigged me, but looking back, I thought we had some great people in our year, and whilst I know that facebook seems to be the in-thing, nothing will ever beat meeting people face-to-face, as I did when I went home in June. And that is also true of me turning up at various Regimental Functions, you never know who you are likely to meet.

Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby evandale » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:26 pm

My sister Rita is a very close friend of Mair , she has visited her recently, she is now Mrs Mooney and she lives in Swansea.
evandale

Postby pedruid » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:10 pm

Living in retirement in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. From Taff St I moved to 55 High St when my father Jack Davies opened his butchers shop. Six or more butchers shops in those days.

Gareth Davies
pedruid

Postby mbabidragon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:58 pm

only just joined this sight... in answer to your question gary ... Janice rees from Frederick street is my mother , her and my dad live in west wales now , but visit us in ferndale almost every day lol . my uncle brian unfortunately passed away, i will ask my mother about the other people for you
Last edited by mbabidragon on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbabidragon

Postby mbabidragon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:38 pm

lovelygirll wrote:I'm sorry to say that my memory is not as good as yours Roger/John. I was Mary Hughes when at the Grammar School but my married surname is Brown. I too am one of those welsh exports - retired now and living in Cambridgeshire. Until three or four years ago I frequently went home as my sisters were still alive and living there. Unfortunately, they have both passed away and my family home is no longer there, so my journeys home have ceased.

hi Mary. Glad to know you are well. Don t know if you remember me (Janice Davies)xx
mbabidragon

Postby mbabidragon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:40 pm

[quote="GaryLockyer"]With all of the recent posts I have logged, and all of the names I seem to have running through my mind, I thought that perhaps we should have a post page to see if any of the names we have brought up, actually visit this site.
So, with that in mind, I thought why not start a "Where are you Now?" topic.
I have aleady listed around twenty or so names in the Rhondda Tce topic but - in no particular order of priority, here are some more names I have recalled.

Janice Davies - Frederick St, Brian Davies's sister. Meryl who lived opposite Janice.
Val(erie) Thomas - Lake St, who married Errol Knott
Keith Edwards - Frederick St, Tom & Hetty Edwards's son - electrician.
Ann Philips - Phil Philips the shop on Cross Lake St's daughter.
Janice Voyle - lower end of Duffryn Street
Andrea Meyrick and her brother Jeff.
Wendy Phillips, Eluned Phillips.
Keith Aycocks. Brian Dark - Maerdy, Brian James - Tylorstown ( Nurse James's son).
Julia Bertorelli and her brother Frank, who I believe, has a shop in Bridgend.
Huw and Philip Rowlands. Clive Virgo.

Where are you all?

It would be great to see and hear from any or all of you.
Everyone is welcome to add more names at your leisure.
Get those rheumatoid digits working and let us know where you folks.
I look forward to checking in regularly to see if we get any response.

Gary Lockyer...only just joined this sight... in answer to your question gary ... Janice rees from Frederick street is my mother , her and my dad live in west wales now , but visit us in ferndale almost every day lol . my uncle brian unfortunately passed away, i will ask my mother about the other people for you
mbabidragon

Postby lovelygirll » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:52 pm

Hi Janice - course I remember you and our trips to cinema in the workmen's hall! Do you remember? You used to always buy a packet of Smith's crisps and a tube of Rowntree's fruit gums (if my memory serves me right)! Good old days! Glad to hear you are well. I don't get down to Ferndale at all now as I don't have any family left (sadly) but I used to visit quite regularly when my Mother and sisters were alive.
lovelygirll

Postby daveporthcawl » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:07 pm

Some gen for Janice.
To comment on a few names.

Nurse Bess James and husband Dick moved from Tylorstown to Porthcawl in the early 70s and lived next door to us. They were truly a delightful couple and very good friends. Dick lost his sight after being torpedoed in the Merchant Navy but was always very cheerful. Their son Brian joined the police and then married Wendy Phillips after she graduated from Cardiff Uni. They lived in Essex and had two children. Dick died in 77 and Bess in 84.

As for the Bertorellis, the whole family moved to Bridgend in the late 60s and opened the WINDSOR FISH BAR which closed years ago.
It was near the cafe opened by Gildo Fecci whose father Joe kept the cafe opposite the Workmens Hall. I was in the same year with Louis Bertorelli in the Junior School. Frankie became a Bridgend Tory Councillor and served as Mayor for a while.

Good luck
Dave Lewis
daveporthcawl

Postby daveporthcawl » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:23 pm

pedruid wrote:Living in retirement in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. From Taff St I moved to 55 High St when my father Jack Davies opened his butchers shop. Six or more butchers shops in those days.

Gareth Davies

Gareth
I remember your parents and the shop very well ...........My mother was a customer and I collected our meat rations there. It adjoined Seeley's (barbers and tobacconists). Other butchers at that time (30s/40s)......were Arthur Powell, Teddy Roberts, Eastmans and a scruffy shop just up from Davies Booksellers on the Strand. Who were the others?
Good luck in SA
Dave
daveporthcawl

Postby brianblaenboy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:52 pm

Hi Janice, do you still live in North Road (I'm hoping I've got the right one)? Two names for you apart from mine are:-
Susan Allen who married my good friend John. Sadly John passed away about 8/9 years ago. Susan lives in Upper Church Village.
I went to Ferndale for the opening of the "Sir Stanley Baker Lounge" about two years ago, but didn't stop long enough to look around the place at all.
Best Wishes
Brian Evans
brianblaenboy

PreviousNext

Return to General