Where are you now?????

A general discussion forum for Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach. If you can't find another suitable forum on ferndale-wales for what you want to say, post your message in here.

Re: Where are you now?????

Postby brianblaenboy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:55 pm

In order for me to go on the Paris Trip, I worked in Woodley's Butcher's for the whole of the previous summer school holidays, and the most frightening thing I have ever done (including army service) was to take a basketful of meat over to Blaenllechau, absolutely terrified the first time I did that. I'm sure my teeth chattering made more noise than the ramshackle of the bike. Memories!!!!

Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby darran » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:37 pm

Brian, it was Kay Newton who lived in the end house of Oak St nearest the Strand. It was a 'double' house.

Sheila
darran

Postby brianblaenboy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:59 pm

Brain not working so well then, I stand corrected. However, were this family connected to the bakery in Maxwell Street?

Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby bobjones1938 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:27 am

Jeff and Lynne Edwards lived in 33 Oak St., towards the bottom, near the vicarage.
bobjones1938

Postby darran » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:11 pm

Kay Newton's Dad was the Newton in Newton and Monk's bakery.

Sheila
darran

Postby JohnPitt » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:19 pm

brianblaenboy wrote:In order for me to go on the Paris Trip, I worked in Woodley's Butcher's for the whole of the previous summer school holidays, and the most frightening thing I have ever done (including army service) was to take a basketful of meat over to Blaenllechau, absolutely terrified the first time I did that. I'm sure my teeth chattering made more noise than the ramshackle of the bike. Memories!!!!

Brian

Why should taking a basket of meat be so frightning?? was it a bit front heavy?
JohnPitt

Postby brianblaenboy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:23 pm

John, those bikes were not light, a full basket of meat was also not light, the brakes ?? but going down Station Road for the first time, scared the hell out of me. Then pushing the damn thing up Commercial Street, and all to go to Paris with the School - must have been mad even then?????
Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby JohnPitt » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:41 pm

lovelygirll wrote:Yes John that's me - not a very flattering photo I must say!!

Well how about this one from 1957

.................my sister Hannah is in the 1947 school photo if anyone remembers her.
[/quote]

Hope to get a sharper image for 1947 photoroll via Dave Porthcawl soon to go on a new Facebook "Ferndale Grammar School" page started by Roger Wood hope everyone with a long enough memory will then put in name tags
JohnPitt

Postby lovelygirll » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:19 pm

Wow John, that has really put a smile on my face! Gosh, I don't know if I have the 1957 school photo just the 1960 one I think. I can't believe what a wonderful memory you all have! I'm very good at remembering faces but names just escape me!! Thanks John.
lovelygirll

Postby RogerWood » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:35 pm

lovelygirll wrote:Wow John, that has really put a smile on my face! Gosh, I don't know if I have the 1957 school photo just the 1960 one I think. I can't believe what a wonderful memory you all have! I'm very good at remembering faces but names just escape me!! Thanks John.

You don't remember us because you were in a year higher than us. ( me, John, Mair and anybody else on the 1960 Photo )
Do you remember Brian Evans ? He was in your year. Thats right isn't it Brianblaenboy ?
RogerWood

PreviousNext

Return to General