Take aways -- So What took you away?

A general discussion forum for Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach. If you can't find another suitable forum on ferndale-wales for what you want to say, post your message in here.

Re: Take aways -- So What took you away?

Postby mamgu01 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:38 am

Thank you Roger for posting the web addy of Ferndale Rugby Club, is that Ken in photo # 31 and 48 of 77 ??
mamgu01

Postby RogerWood » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:11 am

Don't ask me. The only face I saw and recognised on my trip was my Best Man, Mike Evans.
RogerWood

Postby bobjones1938 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:04 pm

I left Ferndale Grammar in 1953 at 15 ye4ars old (to earn money for the family) and went down the collery but later became an NCB apprentice. I pushed ahead with studies eventually taking HND and becoming an engineer with the then CEGB. I emigrated to England, then to Australia (Perth) and on to the USA (Houston, Texas) and finally here I am back in Wales, albeit in Pontlliw near Swansea!
bobjones1938

Postby fernowna » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:45 am

I left the Rhondda in 1967, As I had worked in Maerdy colliery as an electrician, left to go to work in Cardiff and then emmigrated to Canada, worked in Uranium ,Copper mines,Pulp mills, then in Hospitals. I am retired and live in Kelowna BC, which has two streets called Rhondda Crescent,and Rhondda Court. I sent a e-mail to the Rhondda leader with a photo of the streets a few years ago , but recently had a visitor form Victoria BC ,Harry Williams who also worked as an electrician at Maerdy. His brother was one of the Maerdy managers ,Maurice.
I took him to the two aforementioned streets and we met the grandson of John Watts originally from Treherbert, who named the streets Rhondda, he said theres my grandpa John and he introduced us, John who is 84 , told us the story why the streets were called RHONDDA.
Just a sideline here I have 5 grandchildren and none of them speak witha Welsh accent although one is called Bronwyn.I am a member of the local Welsh Society, We have a dinner and Welsh singing for St.Davids Day, a BBQ in the hot summer and a Christmas Dinner as well.have met many people with Welsh Connections
iechyd da
Mike s
fernowna

Postby JohnPitt » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:17 am

Very interesting post Fernowa.
All goes to show that we take our roots with us, and "moving on" is a relative term.
Thanks
JohnPitt

Previous

Return to General