New Street

A discussion forum for matters of ancestry. Whether you want to share information or ask questions, if you've any ancestral connections with Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach, post your message here.

Re: New Street

Postby JohnPitt » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:04 pm

denleys wrote:I was born in 16 New Street '1949' Yesterday I went on a visit,as I was walking down New Street I was telling my husband about a man who used to show us his pet mice,couldn't remember his name, He &family lived a few houses down from NO 16.But I can remember the two daughters names Leah & Dorita. When I came home I found this 'FAB' site,LO and BEHOLD!!! the first thing I read was a post from that family that is amazing coincidence.We lived with my Gran who was Nellie Harries, about 1920 onwards she was the midwife. Delivering Stanley Baker and siblings. My Grandfather had a bootmakers in Lake Street called the Green Boot, he died aged 43yrs with TB after being Gassed in the war. My mothers name was Nora Harries. We all moved to Porthcawl in 1960.
I am now tracing my family tree it seems my G.Gran had the Ferndale Hotel before moving to New Street,I have no proof of that yet. I am looking for a cousin,who might have lived in Mountain Row, or any one with the surname name HARRIES. 'Great Site' Thank you

Well how about that! :o

[............... edit out irrelevant info ...........]

Come back to the forum soon - wish I could remember your name.
Last edited by JohnPitt on Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JohnPitt

Postby denleys » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:10 pm

I am most CERTAINLY not that person.I only have a sister Julie & I am Janet.We lived with my Mum Nora,Dad & Gran.
denleys

Postby mochyn » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:42 pm

denleys wrote:I was born in 16 New Street '1949' Yesterday I went on a visit,as I was walking down New Street I was telling my husband about a man who used to show us his pet mice,couldn't remember his name, He &family lived a few houses down from NO 16.But I can remember the two daughters names Leah & Dorita. When I came home I found this 'FAB' site,LO and BEHOLD!!! the first thing I read was a post from that family that is amazing coincidence.We lived with my Gran who was Nellie Harries, about 1920 onwards she was the midwife. Delivering Stanley Baker and siblings. My Grandfather had a bootmakers in Lake Street called the Green Boot, he died aged 43yrs with TB after being Gassed in the war. My mothers name was Nora Harries. We all moved to Porthcawl in 1960.
I am now tracing my family tree it seems my G.Gran had the Ferndale Hotel before moving to New Street,I have no proof of that yet. I am looking for a cousin,who might have lived in Mountain Row, or any one with the surname name HARRIES. 'Great Site' Thank you

Welcome aboard "denleys" and congratulations on being our 40th member. Glad you like the site.

I was interested to hear you mention the name Harries, do you know where it originates in your family? My parents are from Ferndale by birth (both in 1919) but one branch of my mother's family is from the Fishguard area of Pembrokeshire and Harries is big name over there. I have some in my family tree, not direct ancestors but close enough to be of interest.

Alan
Mochyn Administrator for: http://forum.ferndale-wales.co.uk/
mochyn
Site Admin

Postby JohnPitt » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:39 pm

denleys wrote:I am most CERTAINLY not that person.I only have a sister Julie & I am Janet.We lived with my Mum Nora,Dad & Gran.

No Janet you are not the girl I previously mentioned, perhaps Dorita will remember better.
Perhaps I am thinking of the family at No 15 not 16.
At 17 there was a couple (just can't ressurrect the names) but she was a nurse and he was a singer in the Morlais or Treorchy male voice choir. Then at 18 there was a fairly old man with his wife sick in hospital for years and two sons Duggie and Malcolm. Perhaps some of this rings bells?
JohnPitt

Postby JohnPitt » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:31 pm

The Father at no 18 was Mr Howells, so it was Duggie and Malcolm Howells. Malcolm was just a year or two older than me, but Duggie was a lot older. We were at 19. Reg & Doris, then kids in age order: David, Leah, Dorita, & me. At 20 there was an old lady we called 'aunty Nan' - no idea what her actual name was.
JohnPitt

Postby denleys » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:56 am

I have traced the 'Harries' family to Jonah Harries d.o.b.1803,(Brickwall after that) he was born in Carmarthen, (so the census says) he was my GGG Grandfather, his grandson went to live in Ferndale c1909,Frederick. My grandfather 'Evan' (Fredericks nephew) went to live in Ferndale c1907 as an apprentice bootmaker.Other than that my grandfather's brother, another Frederick, went to live in Haverfordwest/Fishguard. He married a Margaret S. Griffiths.
denleys

Previous

Return to Ancestry