New Street

A discussion forum for matters of ancestry. Whether you want to share information or ask questions, if you've any ancestral connections with Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach, post your message here.

New Street

Postby JohnPitt » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:51 pm

Hi there Iori

Yes you've got the address spot on, and my (late) brother would have been around your age.(I'm 63) I don't really remember you, but I know an older lad called Yorweth lived further up the road (I've probably got the spelling wrong), so probably your mother was his piano teacher. At that time, I had more to do with the Phillips family at No 6. Can you remember a contempory at No 15 or 16 who went to work on nuclear technology at Harwell - think he was your age. My Father died in 1966, my Mum in 1968, and my elder sister Leah in 1969 then David also died at an early age in 1988 only Dorita and myslf remain we are both married and live in England.
Talking about buildings being pulled down I notice that the Pentecostal hall New Street has gone without trace.

Yes I remember that whenever Stanley Baker was in the credits a big cheer went up at the cinema (Ithought it was called the Ferndale Hall) I can remember an even older cinema at the top of the Strand and it cost 2and 9pence in the old money for the best circle seats!

More to follow
JohnPitt

Re: New Street

Postby bouncer » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:44 pm

JohnPitt wrote:Hi there Iori

Yes you've got the address spot on, and my (late) brother would have been around your age.(I'm 63) I don't really remember you, but I know an older lad called Yorweth lived further up the road (I've probably got the spelling wrong), so probably your mother was his piano teacher. At that time, I had more to do with the Phillips family at No 6. Can you remember a contempory at No 15 or 16 who went to work on nuclear technology at Harwell - think he was your age. My Father died in 1966, my Mum in 1968, and my elder sister Leah in 1969 then David also died at an early age in 1988 only Dorita and myslf remain we are both married and live in England.
Talking about buildings being pulled down I notice that the Pentecostal hall New Street has gone without trace.

Yes I remember that whenever Stanley Baker was in the credits a big cheer went up at the cinema (Ithought it was called the Ferndale Hall) I can remember an even older cinema at the top of the Strand and it cost 2and 9pence in the old money for the best circle seats!
More to follow

Tudor Hall - the flea pit!
bouncer

Postby GLYNYEEND » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:08 pm

Hi Iori
My name is Glyn Yeend and I lived in 14 Brown St. you will probably not know me but maybe my brother Ken (1938-2000) who would have been nearer your age, also had cousins in New St (no.70) Williams' and a few in Albany St.(no.29) Yeends' and Pleasant Hill (Yeends')
I have listed a post under "history" regarding the Coffee Tavern which was originally in Brown St. according to the book I have obtained entitled "PASSAGES OF LIFE, FERNDALE AND DISTRICT" Would you know anything about it's history. The only building I can think of is the big house that was on the hill going down to Brown St.from New St.where my Aunt,Uncle and cousins used to live (Grylls) I have spoken to my cousin Alma Grylls today but she doesn't know anything about it. She left the house in 1957 when her Mam died and moved to Maerdy with her sister and brother.
I have some family photos taken in Brown St.in the 50's where the taller building is visable but the one I took in 1970 clearly shows the gap where the house once stood.
If you have any info. on this I would love to hear from you, better still if you have photographs. I have many photos of Ferndale which which we could exchange by e-mail
Looking forward to hearing from you
Glyn Yeend
GLYNYEEND

Postby darran » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:21 pm

Hi Glyn

What is that book like ? Is it worth getting? I couldn't find much about it but it seems to be about £15!!

Sheila
darran

Postby GLYNYEEND » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:09 pm

darran wrote:Hi Glyn

What is that book like ? Is it worth getting? I couldn't find much about it but it seems to be about £15!!

Sheila

Hi Sheila
I found the books (I say books because in comes in two A4 volumes) very interesting They cover all aspects of life in Ferndale from the early 1800's upto to the modern day. They also contain some wonderfull old photographs. My cousin's wife Julia Barnes from Oak St. got them for me at a cost of £15 per volume. I don't know where she got them from but the author is ALUN ARWEL CLEMENT if that helps.
Regards
Glyn
GLYNYEEND

Postby darran » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:51 pm

Hi Glyn

I managed to reserve both volumes from my library. I didn't think they'd be able to get them but they phoned today and asked if I wanted both volumes! I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Sheila
darran

Postby mamgu01 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:22 pm

Hi Glyn. I have come on to this site a bit late but do you have the ISBN for
the books you have by Alun Arwell Clement, maybe I can find them over here
in Canada!!!
Thanks
Ann
mamgu01

Re: New Street / Ferndale books

Postby darran » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:36 pm

Hello Ann

The books are only available from the author. They are £15 each. I can dig out his address if you are interested?

Sheila
darran

Postby mamgu01 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:30 pm

Hi Sheila.
I've got the address thanks anyway. I will phone my cousin who lives in Rhondda Terrace.
mamgu01

Postby denleys » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:55 pm

I was born in 16 New Street '1949' Yesterday I went on a visit,as I was walking down New Street I was telling my husband about a man who used to show us his pet mice,couldn't remember his name, He &family lived a few houses down from NO 16.But I can remember the two daughters names Leah & Dorita. When I came home I found this 'FAB' site,LO and BEHOLD!!! the first thing I read was a post from that family that is amazing coincidence.We lived with my Gran who was Nellie Harries, about 1920 onwards she was the midwife. Delivering Stanley Baker and siblings. My Grandfather had a bootmakers in Lake Street called the Green Boot, he died aged 43yrs with TB after being Gassed in the war. My mothers name was Nora Harries. We all moved to Porthcawl in 1960.
I am now tracing my family tree it seems my G.Gran had the Ferndale Hotel before moving to New Street,I have no proof of that yet. I am looking for a cousin,who might have lived in Mountain Row, or any one with the surname name HARRIES. 'Great Site' Thank you
denleys

Next

Return to Ancestry