FERNDALE ROBERTSES including Oliver Cromwell!

A discussion forum for matters of ancestry. Whether you want to share information or ask questions, if you've any ancestral connections with Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach, post your message here.

Re: FERNDALE ROBERTSES including Oliver Cromwell!

Postby lovelygirll » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:24 pm

Hi Ninian

Re your Q2 - Salem Newydd was definitely the Welsh Baptist chapel but I think there was also one in Blaen - they are not the same. Not sure where the English Baptist chapel is/was.
lovelygirll

Postby eirwen » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:50 pm

Hi With regard to all of the deaths . Try contacting Treorchy Library Ask Mr Pritchard if there are any obituaries in the local papers. In the past he has located some for me. Eirwen.
eirwen

Postby howard » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:24 pm

Sorry to add lovelygirl that Handel Bowen passed away about a month ago
regards
Howard
howard

Postby brianblaenboy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:57 pm

Ninian, Blaenllechau is a very small village and the Llanwonno cemetery is on the other side of the mountain - there is now just the Church and the Pub there. I would have thought that based on the years you are researching, Ferndale Cemetery would be the one for your family. Llanwonno was used for virtually everyone from Blaenllechau - and possibly some from Ferndale, although I can't remember ever seeing a funeral procession go past my house when I was a kid (but age doesn't help either).
The Welsh Baptist Chapel in Blaenllechau was called Nazareth and the last I heard, it was on the market for about £35,000 - that is the second one in the photos above.
Good luck

Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby ninian » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:21 am

Thank you to everyone for the latest posts. I'm now a lot clearer about the various cemeteries and chapels. This will make my trip a lot easier now I know where I'm going and what to look out for. The tip to go to Treorchy library was really useful. I shall go there when I've toured the cemeteries and chapels so that know what gaps I have to fill.

It looks like I will need an early start as I think I will quite easily be able to fill a full day in Ferndale and the library. I'm now waiting for the plan of the cemetery to arrive and then I shall be on my way. I'll add another post to let you know how I get on. Many thanks to everyone who has responded, it's been really helpful

Ninian
ninian

Postby lovelygirll » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:01 pm

howard wrote:Sorry to add lovelygirl that Handel Bowen passed away about a month ago
regards
Howard

Thanks for that Howard, so sorry to hear of his passing, he officiate at my mother's and father's funerals and I remeber him and Mrs Bowen with affection. I wish some of the people I still know in Ferndale had let me know though!
lovelygirll

Postby GLYN3DEMFYEEND » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:28 pm

Hi
I won't repeat what all that's been said in the replies you have had to your posting. Just thought I would let you know that I used to live in 30 Brown St. and I can asure you it is still there. I was born in no.14 and moved into no.30 in 1963 after getting married in 1962. We lived there until 1972 when I left Ferndale in search of work. Try to get down at least once a year. As regards to the Ferndale Cemetery between Ferndale and Maerdy. It has been terribly neglected. I tried last year to find the graves of my Granparents without success. I noted in one of your postings that you had information from Pontypridd with regard to the positions of plots. Perhaps you could let me know where you got this information from as I am working on my family tree. I have family interment records but it would be nice to actually see the graves.
Regards
Glyn Yeend
GLYN3DEMFYEEND

Postby ninian » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:33 am

Hi Glyn

It's really interesting to know you lived in the same house as my Peter Roberts and family. I shall be going in search of the house on my day trip to Ferndale.

Re the info on graves in Ferndale Cemetery: I got the phone no from the RTC website:
"Contact the Cemetery Offices on: Glyntaff Crematorium / Glyntaff Cemetery / Ty Rhiw Cemetery / Llanharan Cemetery / Cefn Y Parc Cemetery / Trealaw Cemetery / Treorchy Cemetery / Ferndale Cemetery / Penrhys Cemetery. For all of the above please contact: Cemetery Road, Glyntaff, Pontypridd, CF37 4BE. Tel No: 01443 402810". They were really helpful. I gave them the names and dates of burial that Bob (bobtanner) had given me and they gave me the plot number for each grave and they are sending me a plan of the cemy. Hopefully that will make it easy to identify exactly where the graves are from the plot numbers. I haven't had the plan of the cemy yet. I only phoned late on Friday so I imagine that they wouldn't have posted it off until yesterday and they said they'd be sending it 2nd class. I'll let you know if it's useful when/if I get it. I s'pose there may or not be headstones, but at least it should be easy to find the plots. I'm desperately hoping my graves have headstones which will provide sufficient info to know which of the 2 'Peter Roberts' graves is my Peter and hopefully sufficient info to confirm that the children's graves are his children.
Regards Ninian
ninian

Postby GLYN3DEMFYEEND » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:21 pm

Hi ninian
I won't repeat everything that has been said in previous posts. Just thought I would let you know that I used to live in 30 Brown St. Moved there in 1963 after getting married in 1962 and left in 1972 to find work. Now living in Bolton, Lancs. I was born in 14 Brown St. Unfortunatly cannot remember the name of the previous owners. I have e-mailed a neighbour of ours who still lives in Brown St. to see if she can help with your query.
Regards
Glyn Yeend
GLYN3DEMFYEEND

Postby GLYN3DEMFYEEND » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:32 pm

Hi Ninian
Sorry about the duplicated message but before I composed it the original did'n't show on the list of posted messages so I did it again. Thanks for the phone no. Let me know if you get a plan of the cemetery would love to see it ready for my next visit to Ferndale
Regards
Glyn
GLYN3DEMFYEEND

PreviousNext

Return to Ancestry