Comercial street [Blaenllechau]

A discussion forum for matters of ancestry. Whether you want to share information or ask questions, if you've any ancestral connections with Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach, post your message here.

Comercial street [Blaenllechau]

Postby eirwen » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:59 pm

My grandfather Howel Davies I believe was living in Commercial street in 1901. Are there any electoral records which may inform me if he was living at the same address between 1896 and 1901. Thankyou. Eirwen.
eirwen

Re: Comercial street [Blaenllechau]

Postby Becca54 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:44 pm

Electoral records start in 1918/19.
Becca54

Postby mamgu01 » Sat May 07, 2011 8:04 pm

What number in Commercial Street, my grand parents lived there, they were Richard and Elizabeth DAVIES.
mamgu01

Postby JohnPitt » Mon May 09, 2011 10:47 am

Have you tried Church/chapel registers?
JohnPitt

Postby eirwen » Mon May 09, 2011 3:30 pm

My Gandparents were Howell and Margaret Davies and they lived at No 28 Commercial street in 1901. Eirwen.
eirwen

Postby eirwen » Mon May 09, 2011 3:36 pm

Where would I look for the parish records etc if a child was born in Commercial street about 1896-1901. Eirwen . P.S There does not appear to be any burials in Ferndale cemetry which ties up with Howell and Margaret Davies family burial site. Howell is entered I believe as Howard.
eirwen

Postby mamgu01 » Tue May 10, 2011 6:18 pm

Hi Eirwen. Have you tried looking for them at St. Gwynno Llanwonno
mamgu01

Postby brianblaenboy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:39 pm

Not quite related to what has been posted on here, but my memory of people living in Commercial Street around 1950-1957 are as follows, and is based on going down the street from the Glyn:
No 1 - Morgan family, a name Bruce rings a bell.
Above a workshop used by Will Peever - carpenter, I think there were two families, surname unknown, but again the name Bernard comes to mind.
The house next door to the Radical Club was the Rawbone family.
The house next to Carmel Chapel was the Thomas family - Gareth and Gaynor were the children.
No 11 - Williams family - Terry and Ivor were the ones I remember, could have been an older child.
No 12 - Matthews family - David, Pauline, Anne and Jennifer and there were others.
No 13 - Another Williams family, two older sisters with their mother.
No 14 - Kerrigan Jones, and in the back of my mind, I have a feeling before them could have been Bowen, but not sure.
No 15 - Evan John & Emma Hannah Evans - my grandparents.
No 16 - Mr Phillips, his sister Dilys Allen and son John.
No 17 - Will & Mully Owen and daughter Andrea - Mully was sister of Dilys.
No 18 - My family.
On the other side of the road going up to the Glyn,
No 19 - Reynolds family.
No 20 - Harris family with the basement occupied by some-one else?
No 21 - Mason family - Gareth and Ashley Mason and an older sister I believe. Father's name was Moss?
Nos 22 & 23, not really sure, but one of them could be a family with the surname of White?
No 24 - Evan Edwards, councillor and became Mayor of the Rhondda.
From there to the Livingstone shop on the Glyn, there was the 'Dudson shop', I remember Earland family, and Hollard/Holland.
I found the piece of paper with all this on which was written years ago when I was at home in the 90's, talking to my parents.
brianblaenboy

Postby RogerWood » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:30 pm

No 11.....Williams...Tommy, Winder at Ferndale and one of the first Electric Winder at Maerdy. I remember him giving our family a tour one Sunday afternoon, I must have been about eight or nine. We only only knew him through my uncle Dilwyn Cooper. Uncle Dil used to sit on the door at Maerdy shot if any-one remembers him.
RogerWood

Postby brianblaenboy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:58 am

Roger, based on what you have said, his son Terry also became an electrician and if memory serves me well, I think he did his apprenticeship with the NCB - like father, like son?
brianblaenboy

Return to Ancestry