George James - Ferndale Station Master c1899

A discussion forum for matters of ancestry. Whether you want to share information or ask questions, if you've any ancestral connections with Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach, post your message here.

George James - Ferndale Station Master c1899

Postby TracyJames50 » Sun May 11, 2014 1:01 am

Hi Everyone

I've been researching my family history and found out my gg grandfather George James was definately the Station Master at Ferndale Station Nov 1899 so am trying to establish how long he was there. Prior to this he was Station Master at Walnut Tree Junction, Taffs Well circa 1881-1891 (both the 1881 & 1891 census verify this) but unfortunately after opening a Drapers during this time which didn't do well he filed for bankruptcy late in 1891. I'm trying to establish if this was round the time he was made Station Master of Ferndale. Unfortunately George borrowed money in 1897 while still being an undischarged bankrupt and as he didn't declare it a court case followed and he was sent to prison on 25 Nov 1899 for a month so am assuming this is when his career as Station Master at Ferndale ended. In the newspaper clipping on the court case it states he was Station Master at Ferndale at time he borrowed the money which was July 1897. Both my gg grandparents died at Llanblethian Gardens, Cardiff, Caroline in 1903 and George in 1906.

I saw the lovely old postcard of the Station Masters Cottage and am hoping someone may have other photo's, stories, information, etc on Ferndale Railway and it's staff and perhaps if there were other James families related to me round the years I mentioned as I'm hoping to start a family history write-up this year sometime. Appreciate any help you can give.

Off to have a nosey at the rest of your website.....
Kind Regards
Tracy
New Zealand
TracyJames50

Re: George James - Ferndale Station Master c1899

Postby howard » Mon May 12, 2014 8:43 pm

Hi Tracy

If you haven't seen them there are a couple of detailed reports in the Western Mail newspaper on this.
The committal for trial 14th November 1899 lists the debts incurred, including at Phillips'shop in Ferndale between 1 March 1895
and 2 April 1897. This would tie in with the trial report in the 23rd November edition stating "in 1895 the prisoner was promoted
and became station-master at Ferndale" and later "in 1897 he came to Cardiff".
As George seems to have been with them some time maybe the Taff Vale Railway staff records could tell you more?

regards
Howard
howard

Return to Ancestry