Mountaineers Jazz Band

A discussion forum for matters of ancestry. Whether you want to share information or ask questions, if you've any ancestral connections with Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach, post your message here.

Mountaineers Jazz Band

Postby Glenys » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:55 pm

First of all can I just say a big thank you for letting me join this forum. My family the Bishops came from Blaenllechau, my grandfather Gilbert Bishop ( Bert ) was the leader of the Mountaineers Jazz band and I am searching for any medals or trophy's won by the band, my auntie Beryl Bishop would dearly love to find them. My Grandmother was Bessie Bishop and my granddad was Bert, they had 2 sons Brynley and Leslie sadly deceased and 5 girls Nancy Beryl Flossie Evelyn and Dilys who are all living in the West Midlands but there hearts are still in the valleys.
Glenys

Re: Mountaineers Jazz Band

Postby mochyn » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:21 am

Glenys wrote:First of all can I just say a big thank you for letting me join this forum. ...

You're most welcome. Good luck with your search.
Mochyn Administrator for: http://forum.ferndale-wales.co.uk/
mochyn
Site Admin

Postby brianblaenboy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:46 am

Glenys, welcome and thank you for bringing a very long forgotten memory back. I do remember the band, but had forgotten the name, and from memory I think your relatives came from the top end of Blaen. I believe they may have played when there was a carnival with everyone in fancy dress in the early 50's.
Best Wishes. Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby Glenys » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:44 pm

Thank you for my welcome, Brian my family first lived in 19 Mountain Row before moving into Glyn View, I have heard lots of stories of granddad and the band and I know they won lots of competitions, I come down to Ferndale at least once a year to visit the remaining of my dads family, I do also go across to Blaen and visit all the places that my family lived and the school where they attended, even though I was not born in the Valleys I feel that's where I should have been, I have told my auntie about this Forum and I am sure she will have lots of memories to share with you all, I would be very grateful if anyone has any information on any of the trophy's for the band, I think they were last heard of in the Rad Club of which I believe is now closed.Thanks Glenys.
Glenys

Return to Ancestry