Hughes Family History

A discussion forum for matters of ancestry. Whether you want to share information or ask questions, if you've any ancestral connections with Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach, post your message here.

Hughes Family History

Postby csmith1004 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:21 pm

I am researching my family history of my Great Grandfather Evan Hughes. I know he was born in Ferndale on April 18, 1882 and came to the US on June 12, 1902. Since he was not yet born at the time of the 1881 census I only have the 1891 and 1901 census to go by. Family papers stated his parents were William and Mary, however I did not find census records to match. I do have the 1891 census showing William and Martha with a son, Evan born around 1882. By 1901 he had left home and I believe I do have a census showing him as a boarder in Barry. This would have been a few months before he left for the US.

I would love to confirm that these are the right people and find family further back than William and Martha but it seems that William Hughes was quite the popular name and I don’t know what Martha’s maiden name was. Does anyone know of a way to check birth records or newspaper accounts online. Ancestry.com has not gotten me any farther.

Also, I found this board and saw the photo posted of Brynhyfryd Terrace. If the census records I found are indeed correct my Great Grandfather lived at 6 Brynhyfryd Terrace when he was 8. It appears from the photo that those houses are the same ones from that time, is that correct? So, when I google the address the photo of the home is the actual home he lived it? If so, that blows my mind!
I would greatly appreciate any tips for finding more information. I discovered through my research that while Evan met his wife in the US, she was also from Wales and had journeyed with her family to the US about 9 years earlier but on the same ship. Small world huh?
csmith1004

Re: Hughes Family History

Postby brianblaenboy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:37 pm

Hi, I'm not the expert on family research but that is because my families have the most common of surnames.
There is a site with a forum for all those with questions they've not been able to find the answers for - familyhistoryUK - unless you've already heard of this. From personal experience there are people who know their way around this type of research and were very helpful, however, it's always helpful to give as much information as possible. This site is free.

The houses in Brynhyfryd are the same ones that were there at the beginning of the 20th century, although the insides have obviously been vastly modernised.

Good luck.

Brian
brianblaenboy

Return to Ancestry