Dyffryn Street

A discussion forum for matters of ancestry. Whether you want to share information or ask questions, if you've any ancestral connections with Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach, post your message here.

Dyffryn Street

Postby darran » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:00 pm

Firstly, can I say a big thankyou for re-establishing a Ferndale forum. The previous website was sadly missed by me and probably many others who were researching their Ferndale roots and just recalling childhood memories of growing up in Ferndale - and for the world wide contacts who logged on.
Re Dyffryn St. The address of 61 Dyffryn St has cropped up in my research into my grandmother. Can anybody tell me if I am correct in thinking it is across the road from the Rhondda pub and what shop would have been there in the 1950's and 60's when I was around in Ferndale?

Sheila
darran

Re: Dyffryn Street

Postby mochyn » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:41 pm

And a big "thank-you" for the forum's first post. Welcome aboard.

I've a couple of postcards I think of Dyffryn Street (though none with a pub in I'm afraid), I'll see if I can dig them out for you.
mochyn
Site Admin

Postby RogerWood » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:34 pm

Wasn't the Maypole opposite the "Rhondda Hotel" ?
RogerWood

Postby darran » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:01 pm

Yes, Roger, there was Maypole and I recall others such as Jeremiah's, Harriett's, The Electric shop etc but I would like to know which one was No. 61. Did you know the Neill brothers? I used to play tennis with Ken Neill and he lived just a few houses from the photographers and his house was 52 so I think 61 is in the first half dozen premises on the other side.

Sheila
darran

Postby RogerWood » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:59 am

I have no idea about numbers or the people who lived there.
I do remember a Chinese laundry there a bouts.
Other than that the only other shop I remember was further down, "Better 'ole", next door to a certain Iona Lewis.
RogerWood

Postby RogerWood » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:48 pm

The electrical shop was called Sterling Radio.
Also there was an outfitters, "Gwalia Stores" (or something like that)
RogerWood

Postby bouncer » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:50 am

RogerWood wrote:I have no idea about numbers or the people who lived there.
Other than that the only other shop I remember was further down, "Better 'ole", next door to a certain Iona Lewis.

Now why would you remember Iona Roger - a very striking looking girl if I remember! :o I remember Stirlings - we used to look in wonder at the 9" tele's in the window. Wasn't the Bazaar on the other side or was that further up toward the hill down to Maxwell?
bouncer

Postby RogerWood » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:28 pm

bouncer wrote:
RogerWood wrote:I have no idea about numbers or the people who lived there.

Now why would you remember Iona Roger - a very striking looking girl if I remember! :o I remember Stirlings - we used to look in wonder at the 9" tele's in the window. Wasn't the Bazaar on the other side or was that further up toward the hill down to Maxwell?

I never did find out how Iona's father knew we were in the doorway next door (After pictures). All he ever did was open his front door and say (without shouting) , "Iona, time to come in" and then he'd close the door.
RogerWood

Postby darran » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:57 pm

I think a chap called Handel owned Sterling Radios. Harriet's (women's clothing 'posh') was on the corner opposite the Rhondda with the Bazaar on the opposite corner of the downside hill. Then Alphas the cleaners on the other corner of the upside hill. I see from some photo I recently saw that the Rhondda has closed down.

Sheila
darran

Postby bouncer » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:39 pm

darran wrote:Firstly, can I say a big thankyou for re-establishing a Ferndale forum. The previous website was sadly missed by me and probably many others who were researching their Ferndale roots and just recalling childhood memories of growing up in Ferndale - and for the world wide contacts who logged on.
Re Dyffryn St. The address of 61 Dyffryn St has cropped up in my research into my grandmother. Can anybody tell me if I am correct in thinking it is across the road from the Rhondda pub and what shop would have been there in the 1950's and 60's when I was around in Ferndale?

Sheila

Hi Sheila - I don't remember the numbering sequence but I know No. 50 was 5 doors down from the surgery as that's where by best mate Gary Jenkins lived - I would have thought that 61 was further down towards opposite the Vic.
bouncer

Next

Return to Ancestry