Dyffryn Street

A discussion forum for matters of ancestry. Whether you want to share information or ask questions, if you've any ancestral connections with Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach, post your message here.

Re: Dyffryn Street

Postby darran » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:50 pm

Yes, Lockyers garage has gone. Gary, I don't think Jeremiah's became Nanw's. I thought Jeremiah's was near the bus stop, further away from the corner where Harriett's was.

Going back to High St. I've been looking at Google streetmap again and at Tann's shop - or where it was anyway. It was the 5th from the corner where the Florist is now. That was a Jeweller's, then came Evans the milk but what did the 3rd and 4th shops used to be? My mind's a blank for them as it is for the name of the Jewellers. Ah, the Wootton's has just sprung to mind - was that it?

Sheila
darran

Postby brianblaenboy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:47 pm

The shop on the corner where you turned to go up to the Grammar School, from memory also sold records as I recall buying some in there, I think you could put a deposit down as well? After Tanns, was there not "Conti's Cafe" which took up the space of 2 shops and had a jukebox? It amazes me how what shop was where disappears from your mind and yet we passed them so often. Back to Dyffryn Street, I still have some photographs in folders with the name of "Davies" I think it was - next door to the Doctor's Surgery? I've always remembered the two Doctors - one called Jones and the other Williams, and when you went in, you just waited your turn and hoped the Doctor would not be called out!!!
brianblaenboy

Postby JohnPitt » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:03 pm

Nobody seems to have remembered the other Doctor his name was Soban Cahn Mitra! - yup an Indian, but very thorough. He had a disused shop as surgery roughly opposite the chineese laundry. Anyway, we were all asked to do a composition "My Doctor" which I did my best on, got sort of average marks then dad gives it to Doc who then asks if he can send it home to his father! Anyway it gets framed and put on the wall in some house in India! :lol:
JohnPitt

Postby darran » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:41 pm

brianblaenboy wrote:The shop on the corner where you turned to go up to the Grammar School, from memory also sold records as I recall buying some in there, I think you could put a deposit down as well? After Tanns, was there not "Conti's Cafe" which took up the space of 2 shops and had a jukebox? It amazes me how what shop was where disappears from your mind and yet we passed them so often. Back to Dyffryn Street, I still have some photographs in folders with the name of "Davies" I think it was - next door to the Doctor's Surgery? I've always remembered the two Doctors - one called Jones and the other Williams, and when you went in, you just waited your turn and hoped the Doctor would not be called out!!!

I had forgotten about the extra room at the cafe. Were the 2 cafes on either side of Roberts the butcher?
Yes, Davies the photographers was next to the surgery.

Sheila
darran

Postby GaryLockyer » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:21 pm

G'day all,

Conti's as you call it, was Fecci's - as John and a few others have recalled. Guildo and Tony and their sister. It was not either side of Roberts, it was two adjacent buildings.It eventually became Spar. The mainshop was the right hand facing entrance, the counter and servery were as you walked in. From there you could walk through into the seating area. There was also a separate entrance directly into this area as well.The jukebox and the coca-cola fridge were then in the far right corner of that area as you went in. To the left was a passageway which led down to the toilets - remember when you wanted to 'spend a penny ' and you actually had to put the penny in the slot mechanism on the door?
The 'big' table was alongside the jukebox and was usually 'dominated' by young people - especially that crowd from 'the baths' ( me included). Sixpence a record or 3 for a 'bob'. Cokes were ninepence. ( This was the late fifties, early 60's).
As far as the other bit of your post Sheila, I thought that John Davies the Photographer was next door to the chemist's shop and then we had the surgery next door up - towards the pub.
Maybe I am getting old and forgetful though. Also, what is your brother up to these days?
That's it for this one, going to see where else I can post.
Gary
GaryLockyer

Postby JohnPitt » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:46 pm

GaryLockyer wrote:
I thought that John Davies the Photographer was next door to the chemist's shop and then we had the surgery next door up - towards the pub.
Maybe I am getting old and forgetful though.

Now you come to challenge it perhaps Davies was the one furthest from pub.
Hey anybody remember the Webber girls - first of the ordinary non shop houses down that side?

Mavis became a nurse. Cant quite remember her sister's name - may have been Glennys Webber.
JohnPitt

Postby brianblaenboy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:31 pm

There was a Glennys Webber in my form year at Grammar, but where they lived is beyond my memory, so you may be right.
brianblaenboy

Postby JohnPitt » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:44 pm

GaryLockyer wrote:
Sixpence a record or 3 for a 'bob'. Cokes were ninepence. ( This was the late fifties, early 60's).

Gary

The was another chip shop down the far end of Duffryn St on the other side to the Ferndale Hotel. They had a juke box and tables too
JohnPitt

Postby GaryLockyer » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:18 pm

That was Bertorelli's Chip Shop on the corner of Irfon and Duffryn St.
The daughter, Julia was in my class in Lower School.
The Bertorelli's moved to Bridgend, and has been mentioned a few times in other posts.
They moved down to Bridgend almost the same time as the Fecci's did.
Both families set up successful businesses there.
I used to frequent their shops and cafes when I lived in Pencoed and was working for Christie Tyler.
GaryLockyer

Postby JohnPitt » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:09 pm

GaryLockyer wrote:
That was Bertorelli's Chip Shop on the corner of Irfon and Duffryn St.

Oh no not Bertorellis mentioned already.

Williams fish shop was another block and a half further down Dyffryn and was there long after Bertorelli's
JohnPitt

PreviousNext

Return to Ancestry