Ferndale - Generally

A discussion forum for matters of ancestry. Whether you want to share information or ask questions, if you've any ancestral connections with Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach, post your message here.

Re: Ferndale - Generally

Postby JohnPitt » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:09 pm

Howard thanks for confirming the correct names. I take it you are on the end of middle row?
JohnPitt

Postby howard » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:08 pm

correct John, that's me!

regards

Howard
howard

Postby bobjones1938 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:36 am

all your notes about the shops in and around the Strand brought back memories. I lived in Ferndale from before the war until 1958 and can still "see" most of the shops. My god, how many grocers were there? Co-op, Thomas and Evans, Gwalia, Peglars, Home and Colonial - any more?

and what was that "Forces Canteen" that we open in the war, just up from Davies the Booksellers?
bobjones1938

Postby lizziemg » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:36 pm

Do you remember Margaretelli's the Chip shop? They served the best Fish & Chips ever. They had a daughter who was in my class in the juniors but I can't remember her name.
My grandfather (who died before I was born) worked as a storesman in the Coop but I have fond memories of sitting on one of the chairs alongside the pay desk in the co-op while my mother waited for her order to be made up. There was sawdust on the floor and the man who sliced the bacon and ham used to give me a little taste of ham if I was a good girl.
Do you remember Peglers the grocers? It was managed by Mr Edwards from Oak Street. His daughter Lynne was a friend of mine throughout school.
Further down High street was the Penny Bazaar - the little lady that ran it always seemed a very nervous type.
I also remember going to the dress shop on the next corner down (can't remember the name) but I had a grey two piece costume and hat bought for me for Gymanfa - we had new outfits for that every year.
There was also Tom Evans who owned a radio shop in High St. We used to take batteries there to be charged. His daughter, Gwyneth married Brian?? Maliphant and she later became head of Tylorstownn school
lizziemg

Postby mochyn » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:46 pm

Congratulations lizzimg, that was our 1000th post on the forum. I could tell you there's a prize ... but I'd be lying.

Mochyn
Mochyn Administrator for: http://forum.ferndale-wales.co.uk/
mochyn
Site Admin

Postby JohnPitt » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:01 pm

lizziemg wrote:Do you remember Margaretelli's the Chip shop? They served the best Fish & Chips ever. They had a daughter who was in my class in the juniors but I can't remember her name.

If that's the one on the corner of Irfon St I thought it was Bertorellis. Is the girl you mention next to Gaynor Jones on my Infants photo?

My grandfather (who died before I was born) worked as a storesman in the Coop but I have fond memories of sitting on one of the chairs alongside the pay desk in the co-op while my mother waited for her order to be made up. There was sawdust on the floor and the man who sliced the bacon and ham used to give me a little taste of ham if I was a good girl.

I remember the sawdust floor and the 'divi' book

Do you remember Peglers the grocers? It was managed by Mr Edwards from Oak Street. His daughter Lynne was a friend of mine throughout school.
Further down High street was the Penny Bazaar - the little lady that ran it always seemed a very nervous type.
I also remember going to the dress shop on the next corner down (can't remember the name) but I had a grey two piece costume and hat bought for me for Gymanfa - we had new outfits for that every year.
There was also Tom Evans who owned a radio shop in High St. We used to take batteries there to be charged. His daughter, Gwyneth married Brian?? Maliphant and she later became head of Tylorstownn school

Didn't know that was Gwyneth's father. There is a John Maliphant on the part 8 photo of Grammar 1960 - is that his brother or is the name wrong?
JohnPitt

Postby brianblaenboy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:05 am

John, I think Mary is right, I only ever knew a Brian Maliphant, although that does not mean his other name was John.
The Chip Shop on the Strand was Margatelli's and the daughter's name was Rosanna - somewhere else on this site I think I got a photo of her in our class in the junior's. I spoke to her around 1994/5 when I was at home, she had lived in France.
I can remember going to the Co-op with my grandmother's 'divi book' and got a "So you are Emma Hannah's grandson then" - that was when communities were 100% just that.
Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby eirwen » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:05 am

Can anyone remember the way money was put in a cylinder then put in tubes which were then transfered by I believe either a suction or tram wires to the offices when payements were made in shops. Or am I dreaming this up. Eirwen.
eirwen

Postby brianblaenboy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:42 pm

Eirwen, you are not dreaming. Not only did this happen in local areas, it was still happening in Harrods in London in the 70's when I worked in the capital. No, I did not buy anything - a friend of mine worked in an office around the corner and I needed to buy some time before we went for a pint. :lol: :lol:
Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby GaryLockyer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:44 am

I just had a quick scan of these posts and came across the Brian and John Maliphant question. Yes, there are two individuals.
John was the elder and has been named and tagged a number of times in the 1960 school photo. He is towards the far right next to Tyrone if I remember correctly.
At one stage he also worked in the tax office in Llanishen.
Brian was at least 3 years younger than John, hence some of you youngsters would not connect them.
GaryLockyer

PreviousNext

Return to Ancestry