CHAPEL [Blaenllechau]

A discussion forum for matters of ancestry. Whether you want to share information or ask questions, if you've any ancestral connections with Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach, post your message here.

Re: CHAPEL [Blaenllechau]

Postby eirwen » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:13 am

Just discovered the obituary of my mother Eirwen Davies sister May [Pheobe Jane] Davies. In the obituary it says she was a worshipper in Bethal Chapel in Wattstown after she married. Was there a Bethal Chapel in eiher Blaenllechau or Ferndale round about 1910-1950, where the rest of the family may have worshipped .Thankyou.Eirwen
eirwen

Postby JohnPitt » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:03 pm

eirwen wrote:......... Was there a Bethal Chapel in eiher Blaenllechau or Ferndale round about 1910-1950 .........

Thankyou.Eirwen

Well I'm not sure whether the name denotes a denomination neccessarily Eirwen.

Bethel was a favorite for baptist chapels, but not all by any means, then there were primitive Baptist, Baptist union, independent Baptist and of course, the equivalent Welsh Baptist. Many Chapels/churches style themselves non-denominational.

The chapel your refer to as 'Wattstown' was actually in Ynishir (covered both localities).

Both Blaen and Ferndale had welsh baptist chapels, but beware, the Bethel chapel Fountain Street was English Baptist and the Welsh Weslyan chapel was also called Bethel, but the Welsh baptist Chapel was called Nazareth!

I think this is going to bore everybody silly.

The real church consists of people not stone and mortar.

Its founder said "A house divided against itself cannot stand"
JohnPitt

Postby eirwen » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:37 pm

After this information about Bethal chapels.I think I will give it a miss. Thanks for all your help everyone. Eirwen.
eirwen

Postby debambury » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:25 pm

I know I'm late in adding my tuppence worth but the St Thomas Chapel, Albert Street is still standing and up for sale, I parked outside 3 times, having gone around the block several times looking for it, there is a picture of the interior
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... 35958.html, I didn't realise I was looking for a tin shack!

Also the Nazereth Baptist Chapel, George St is also for sale, I stood outside and dreamed if only I had the money to do it up properly
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... 79162.html, what a fantastic building.

I hope the pictures are of interest

Debs
debambury

Postby brianblaenboy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:42 am

St Thomas's in Blaenllechau was always regarded as a Church, the lay preacher being one Gwyn Williams. I recall several of us youngsters (at the time) doing some painting to the roof and outside - Graham Hatton/ Tony Wills/David Evans/Bobbie Williams(son of Gwyn) are some of the names.

Nazareth was where my grandmother attended every Sunday and in the Publication "GREEN, BLACK AND BACK" produced when the Community Centre was opened, there is a photo of her on the steps with her friend.

Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby kathraz » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:39 pm

The mission is still standing and is now used for the young of the area they hold youth clubs dance classes and music sessions during the holidays they have volunteers from all over the world for 2 weeks
kathraz

Postby brianblaenboy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:47 pm

The Mission still surviving? wow! had many a good night in there in the 50's. What's happening to the Infants School or is that about to be sold off for someone's dream home?
brianblaenboy

Re:Mission

Postby RogerWood » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:37 pm

I'm confused. Little chapel with a wiggly tin roof wasn't the place I went dancing in the 1958/60 era.
I remember going dancing, down steps to a building that was totally green wiggly tin on the site I think is now Blaenllechau Youth Project.
Not coming from Blaen I may be wrong.
RogerWood

Postby brianblaenboy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:43 pm

Roger, St Thomas's Church is/or was in Albert Street, corrugated sheeting and part of the Christ Church system.
The Mission was down the steps/or up the steps depending which way you approached it and is opposite the old Infants School - probably also corrugated type of roof etc and yes, I think I remember it being green.
Would I be right in thinking it was a Thursday they had a dance in there?
Brian
brianblaenboy

Dancing

Postby RogerWood » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:04 pm

If I remember, it was,
Also Edmondstown (but I don't remember which night)
Monday----?? Think it was a night in
Tuesday--Tylorstown Youth Club
Wednesday-- Maerdy Hall
Thursday--- Blaen
Friday--(I think Ferndale Hall Dancing)
Saturday-- Ferndale cinema
Sunday----------------Homework.
Winkle picker shoes, Italian suit from Weaver to Wearer and the Knitted tie.
No, I didn't have fluorescent socks.
RogerWood

PreviousNext

Return to Ancestry