1960 Ferndale Grammar School Photo

A discussion forum for matters of ancestry. Whether you want to share information or ask questions, if you've any ancestral connections with Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach, post your message here.

Re: 1960 Ferndale Grammar School Photo

Postby RogerWood » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:20 pm

Gary Mason of Lewis Merthyr Colliery and Museum at the Rhondda Heritage Centre, Trehafod.

That's the bloke. I'm sure it was information from him that enabled me to label the photos.
But it was a few years ago and I don't think he has registered here.
RogerWood

Postby RogerWood » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:16 pm

I've found his e-mail and he is now one of my friends on FaceBook.
So we might have answers soon.
RogerWood

Postby RogerWood » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:58 pm

JohnPitt wrote:
lizziemg wrote:
Jill Watkins is the girl with white bows. The girl the other side of me is Stella but I can't recall her surname and the next two are a mystery. I'll have to put my thinking cap on.

Thanks for that Mary, you are not alone at failing to put a name on the face! You will either never remember it or it will pop up one day without you making any concious effort - - ah Anno domini and the grey matter!

Any way if you don't mind trying this one from Miss Williams' class 5 - who are the two girls left of Frances Jenkins, and the girl above in the centre between and Maralyn Phillips and Gwyneth Evans? We know who all the others are but nobody on the forum has come up with suggestions on these

I've got "Julie Rose" written on my original. Jill Watkins and Susan Sulivan next to Francis
RogerWood

Postby RogerWood » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:30 pm

Not the Grammar school but Junior school, can you name them ?
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 9dd347bb2e

Then when these have names I'll start on my 1955 photo.
RogerWood

Postby JohnPitt » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:16 pm

RogerWood wrote:I've got "Julie Rose" written on my original. Jill Watkins and Susan Sulivan next to Francis

Right, I was about to suggest Susan for the girl next to Frances, but couldn't remember her last name.

O.K. Thanks Roger I will now tag my FB photo.
JohnPitt

Postby RogerWood » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:53 pm

John Your 1956/7 photo should be complete now.
Thanks to Ann Cavacuiti (Thomas)
RogerWood

Postby JohnPitt » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:07 pm

lizziemg wrote:Reading Brian's post re photo no 9 "On the back row, 3rd from right is someone called ??Addie - I think". The name Ian Addie comes to mind???

Thanks, I've tagged that Mary as also it seems to ring bells with Brian
JohnPitt

Postby terryblake » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:07 am

Hi guys, my first visit as I have just registered. I can add a few more names to the photo.......Garfield Crowther: Warren James: and Melvyn Bishop. There are so many I can still recognise but putting a name to the face is not easy but I,ll be back. Good days guys and remembered very fondly.
terryblake

Postby brianblaenboy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:06 pm

Wow! Terry Blake - a definite blast from the past. As I recall you lived near the Infants School in Blaenllechau, and if memory serves me correct, your family moved away from the Rhondda? Maybe wrong of course.

You will notice Terry, there is not much activity on here these days, I think people are all on Facebook, which I am not.

However, take care

Brian Evans (Commercial Street - house opposite the steps).
brianblaenboy

Postby terryblake » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:37 pm

Hello Brian.......it has been a while since I said that. !!! You are right about me living near the school as 7 Luton Street was as close as you could get. I do remember you and where you lived for we used to walk to FGS together and coming home I can remember you asking me into your house to hear the record player...it must have been the only one in Blaen if not the valley !!!! The record, Chantilly Lace, the singer, The Big Bopper. Really. You played it so many times that I still know all the words.
I used to do your Saturday night Sports paper for you when you couldn't make it and I remember you telling me to carry spares as men would just stop me and buy one. They did too.
And I remember you at school doing a mime of kneeling down and counting out the papers at the station......it must have been a Christmas game or something.
That roll photo is something isn,t it Brian, I am struggling with a lot of the names but the memories are flooding back. Good days my friend and I,d do it all again. That'll do for now but I,ll be back in a few days.......I,m on Facebook, Sunny Blaenllechau, which I joined just four weeks ago and quite honestly Brian I am just in awe of the old place with names coming at me all the time.
I,ll be back my friend, take care,
Take care.
Terry
terryblake

Previous

Return to Ancestry