1960 Ferndale Grammar School Photo

A discussion forum for matters of ancestry. Whether you want to share information or ask questions, if you've any ancestral connections with Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach, post your message here.

1960 Ferndale Grammar School Photo

Postby brianblaenboy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:40 pm

Hi All, based on a small section of the boys at the school in the above photo, I can pinpoint the following:-
Tecwyn Jones; John Maliphant; Timothy Richards; Spenser Wilshire; Glen Biddle; Jeff Williams; John Pope; Clinton Fox; Peter Jones; David Davies; John Dunning; Reg Haberfield; Terry Blake; Keith Phillips; Sidney Tibbles; John Cavacuiti; Huw Morgan. My section only goes from the end near the wall to the first teacher after the prefects.
I wish I had the full photo in big format as I'm certain I could name a lot more as well.
Brian
brianblaenboy

Re: 1960 Ferndale Grammar School Photo

Postby GaryLockyer » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:18 am

Hi Brian, on 14th July in my thread "Rhondda Terrace" JohnPitt has a blue underlined url of 1960 photoroll.This is not it but it looks much like it.
If you click on it you will find the complete roll which includes the girls side as well. Perhaps this will help you a bit more.When it opens it comes up as a word doc. but hover your pointer over it and you can zoom right in on the faces. Be warned, it is scary looking at all these kids who are all now well into their 60's.
I asked on another post if someone could start this thread, as I know so many people in the photo.
I attempted to bring it over to this post - but failed. Although it will give the full address from rogerwoods.
Hope someone can move it over for us - then we can really go to town on it.
Good luck, fingers crossed.

Gary
GaryLockyer

Postby JohnPitt » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:36 am

Here it is:

1960 photoroll

You can see how I constructed it by clicking on "quote".

First take

[url=

then cut and paste the url

http://www.rogerwood.talktalk.net/Fernd ... 201960.jpg

then close the bracket

]

then insert what you call it

"1960 photoroll"

you could then make it blue by adding a font colour (not strictly neccessary)

finally, insert

[/url]
Last edited by JohnPitt on Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
JohnPitt

Postby brianblaenboy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:20 am

Hi John & Gary, computers and me are not very friendly....I'm seriously computer illiterate but when I did computerised accounts and spreadsheets I found that a doddle. I'll have a bash at looking at the photo and wil let you know. Before the weekend I'll list those I know and will make other lists as and when I've got them sorted.
Modern technology.....................urgh!
Brian :lol: :lol:
brianblaenboy

Postby brianblaenboy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:04 pm

After the best part of 2 hours, I can add the following names:-
Roy Harris; Selwyn Evans; Michael Hudson; John Allen; Alan Hudson; Terry Thomas; Glyn Rogers; Rusell Jenkins; Gareth Gaynor; David Thomas; Errol Knott & Jimmy Fisher.
For the ladies:
Carol Jones; Mary Hughes; Gillian Radcliffe; Tricia Dennis; ???Tann; Lynne Edwards; Gwyneth Evans; Janet Jones; Eleri Thomas; Pauline Brockman; Susan Roberts; Gwylethin Jones; Myrna Langdon; Janet Gamlin; Mary Thomas; Glenys Webber; Sandra Forward; Shiela Jones; Kay Meyrick; & Eluned Phillips.

I haven't looked at the full picture - mainly the back four rows but at least I got it reasonable full-size.

To actually place them by rows etc will take quite a bit longer.

Best wishes
Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby JohnPitt » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:07 pm

Brian, if you are using internet explorer to get this photoroll up, you will find first of all, a narrow strip right across the screen.
If you then put your arrow in the lower righthand corner of the photo where the photographer's trade mark is, you will see a yellow rounded rectange with blue arrows at the corners. (you may have to wait a few seconds for this). Click on that box, and you should have an image so big that you can only just about get all the levels in, and it takes 8 sweeps to see the whole roll.

Your info needs to specify where the face is.

For example, Lynne Edwards is directly above the school secretary in the level below the top. Going left on that level you have Gwyneth Evans, but there is a girl in between.

You didn't mention Mavis, Glennys Webber's sister. Quite difficult to point her out.

Follow the concrete wall behind most of the photo until the railings start. now come back a bit, and there's a rather blurred face. I dont know who she is, but below her is another blurred face with dark hair - unmistakeably Mavis. Silly girls should have kept still :!:
Last edited by JohnPitt on Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnPitt

Postby brianblaenboy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:45 am

I have the positions of all the names in my first list and will put these on here shortly, the others I've got to do the counting of where they are, who they are near etc etc.
John, I didn't forget Glenys Webber's sister, I knew she had one but wasn't sure which one she was.

Me being me, compared to today's world, the ladies hair-styles certainly took me back to 1960. Pity I've not still got the 1957 photo.

TTFN

Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby JohnPitt » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:06 am

Copied over from the Rhondda Tce thread and revised :-

JohnPitt wrote:
JohnPitt wrote:I'm on the hunt for my 1960 photo-roll of the whole Grammar school that year that will get a few memory cells going.
I remember "Tich" [that makes 3 teachers so far by the name Jones!] I think he just made the 1960 photo before retiring as did Mel the new Physics teacher who came in 1959 , but T G Phelps - maths didn't, he came in 1962 I think

Ah! so I don't need to find it 'cos Rodger has it up on the 'log in' thread already! Thanks Rodger thanks Gary.

This photo needs to go up on facebook so it can be tagged properly. Any way, here's a start.
Teachers: going left from Head Emrys Howells:
1/ Mrs Lewis "buffy" (English)
2/ Miss Beryl Williams(French)
3/ 'Lena' (Domestic science)
4/ Miss M Lewis (Biology)
5/ Miss Lana Turner (English)
6/ Mrs J Cox (History)
7/ Olive Phillips (Latin)
8/ ? (Girls PE)
9/ Mrs Hopkins (Geography)
10/ Miss Daphne Llewellyn (Scripture)
11/ ? (School Secretary)

Teachers: going right from Head Emrys Howells:
1/ Mr W Jones (Maths) - 'Titch'
2/ ? (Craft)
3/ ? (?)
4/ W. M. Lloyd (Geography)
5/ Brymor Jones ( ? )
6/ Ken J Harper (History)
7/ Cyril Melmouth) (Chemistry)
8/ ?
9/ ?
10/ Mal Jones (P.E)
11/ Mr Thomas (Art)
12/ ?
13/ ?
14/ Mel Brown (?) (Physics)
15/ David Evans (Lab technician)

Nobody has mentioned Mr Miles (Physics) lovely guy from the 'old school' (literally - he retired in my first year).
Last edited by JohnPitt on Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JohnPitt

Postby JohnPitt » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:17 am

More copied over from the Rhondda Tce thread, with amendments :-

JohnPitt wrote:More photo identities:-

Above Ken Harper (but one} myself next on right Barrie Davies, left John Richardson, next Aaron Evans.

Now go to the end of the first building on the left of photo, (so you're counting about 15 heads on the top row), follow the corner down to the 6th formers and you have Wendy Phillips. Follow the second row near top going right you have Janet Gamlin, Jennifer Hall, Mair Hughes.

Aaron and Mair were an item all through school - I wonder whether they tied the knot?

Go to the far right of photo; top row on the end Malcolm Lewis of ( Lewis Bakery Tylerstown)

Bottom row seated with the 6th formers, but actually in my year, Norman Harris who had haemophillia, and came to school in a taxi and used a wheel chair. We were good friends, and would love to know if he is still around. He used to live in Prospect Place, Treorchy.

Above PT teacher (but one) Dianne Phillips (right) Mair Davies (left)

Finally for now, above Mr Jones (Titch) (but one) Michael Humphries ("Slush") next Malcolm Hughes, next Stephen J Tilling.
JohnPitt

Postby JohnPitt » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:58 pm

I have suceeded in putting up the roll in 9 parts on

Facebook here

We hope that members and visitors will put a name tag to as many of the faces they know.

Thanks
JohnPitt

Next

Return to Ancestry