1960 Ferndale Grammar School Photo

A discussion forum for matters of ancestry. Whether you want to share information or ask questions, if you've any ancestral connections with Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach, post your message here.

Re: 1960 Ferndale Grammar School Photo

Postby JohnPitt » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:21 am

howard wrote:Staff that I recall are, to the left of Emrys Howells as you look at the photo, Miss Bufton (English),
reading right from "Titch" are "Dickie Wood" (Davies) woodwork; Dai Les Williams - geography & a bit of German;
Mervyn Lloyd - economics; Brynmor Jones

Howard

Howard the teacher next to the Head is Mrs Lewis surely? She was married, (I think her husband was a councillor), not far off retirement, and her daughter taught Biology (3 seats along). Someone has said her nickname was "Buffy" although I never remembered such a name myself.

The only unnamed on that side is the school sec. and nobody seems to know the Domestic Science teacher's real name.
JohnPitt

Postby brianblaenboy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:42 pm

John, now that I've got my spreaded photos out, try this out:-

From the left, No 6 of the 6th formers sitting down and behind her to the left as you look at the photo is Kay Meyrick.
To her right and slightly behind her is Sheila Jones (dark hair) from Blaenllechau (originally from Maerdy) parents took over the post office in Blaen.

The teacher (whistled on his "s's") next to Mr Melmouth taught me Mathematics and then we had Mrs Fox who is not in this photograph, I don't recall the teacher next to him and Mal Jones, and I'm certain that the other 4 teachers didn't teach me, whatever their subjects.

Mrs Lewis next to the Head, taught English and was known as "Buffy" - and could be something to do with the name Bufton - 50 years ago is a long time to be accurate, maiden name perhaps? I believe the biology teacher and Mrs Lewis were related somehow.

That's the best I can come up with.

NADOLIG LLAWEN A BLWYDDYN NEWYDD DDA

Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby JohnPitt » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:05 pm

brianblaenboy wrote:John, now that I've got my spreaded photos out, try this out:-

From the left, No 6 of the 6th formers sitting down and behind her to the left as you look at the photo is Kay Meyrick.
To her right and slightly behind her is Sheila Jones (dark hair) from Blaenllechau (originally from Maerdy) parents took over the post office in Blaen.

Thanks for that, I think the tags are right now

The teacher (whistled on his "s's") next to Mr Melmouth taught me Mathematics and then we had Mrs Fox who is not in this photograph, I don't recall the teacher next to him and Mal Jones, and I'm certain that the other 4 teachers didn't teach me, whatever their subjects.

but you remember Mal Jones P E teacher? yes you must do

Mrs Lewis next to the Head, taught English and was known as "Buffy" - and could be something to do with the name Bufton - 50 years ago is a long time to be accurate, maiden name perhaps? I believe the biology teacher and Mrs Lewis were related somehow.

Yes it was her daughter-in-law she had a regular supply of rats for dissection I remember the boxes coming back still smelling of chloroform

That's the best I can come up with.

NADOLIG LLAWEN A BLWYDDYN NEWYDD DDA

Brian

Diolch yn fawr iawn ac yr un peth i chi
Last edited by JohnPitt on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnPitt

Postby brianblaenboy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:38 pm

I think I was in Form 2 when Mal Jones became sports teacher - I believe he had had a trial for Wales in Rugby.
Somewhere in the back of my mind I think he married one of the 6th formers that may be in that photograph - obviously some years afterwards.

Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby howard » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:46 pm

You're right John, MIss Bufton became Mrs Lewis, (marrying shortly after the death of her mother who disapproved of the match!)
Can't recall that she had any links to a councillor, though French teacher Beryl William's father was an influential councillor.
Beryl moved to be head of Porth County Girls school. Wasn't the domestic science teacher Lena something??

Howard
howard

Postby JohnPitt » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:30 pm

howard wrote:You're right John, MIss Bufton became Mrs Lewis, (marrying shortly after the death of her mother who disapproved of the match!)

Ah well didn't know all that, but Mr Lewis, if not a councillor, had some important Job with RBC I believe

[/quote]
........ French teacher Beryl William's father was an influential councillor.
Beryl moved to be head of Porth County Girls school.

She was practicing her Headmistress skills long before her move

Wasn't the domestic science teacher Lena something??

Howard

Yeah but Lena who?

Well there's still some confusing tagging with Sandra Forward and Lynwen Davies sharing the same tag

and Pauline Betteridge covering two girls

Can anyone help?
JohnPitt

Postby RogerWood » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:57 pm

JohnPitt wrote:That's great Howard, also Darran, Gary & Roger thanks

Thanks also to Ann Bishop, George Millard and Carol Edmunds via facebook direct.

That leaves 2 teachers between Melmouth and Mal Jones and 2 more on his left.

Didn't we call the maths teacher "Fritz" (with the high waistband)
RogerWood

Postby howard » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:33 pm

I now have a good scan of the November 1957 Ferndale Grammar School photo, would any kind forum user be
able to host this if passed on?

regards

Howard
howard

Postby mochyn » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:51 pm

howard wrote:I now have a good scan of the November 1957 Ferndale Grammar School photo, would any kind forum user be

regards

Howard

Yes, mail it to me and I'll deal with it. Which reminds me, I've some others to post too, someone else sent me some a couple of weeks back.
Mochyn Administrator for: http://forum.ferndale-wales.co.uk/
mochyn
Site Admin

Postby RogerWood » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:49 pm

mochyn wrote:
howard wrote:I now have a good scan of the November 1957 Ferndale Grammar School photo, would any kind forum user be

regards

Howard

Yes, mail it to me and I'll deal with it. Which reminds me, I've some others to post too, someone else sent me some a couple of weeks back.

Go on then..............where are they?
...........I don't know..........these administrators :roll:
RogerWood

PreviousNext

Return to Ancestry