1960 Ferndale Grammar School Photo

A discussion forum for matters of ancestry. Whether you want to share information or ask questions, if you've any ancestral connections with Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach, post your message here.

Re: 1960 Ferndale Grammar School Photo

Postby JohnPitt » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:54 pm

Thanks also to Ivor Southcombe who has provided some input, but has said he can only get photo 6.

I have therefore put up this public link for the group school photos in my facebook albums.
JohnPitt

Postby lovelygirll » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:19 am

Hi All. am new to this site but have been reading your posts re Ferndale Grammar School photo 1960 - I can add another name to the list. The girl to the left of Barbara Wilmore is Barbara Packer. I am absolutely hopeless at remembering names and recalling places etc so I was really pleased to come across your site and to read the many posts regarding Ferndale - which has brought back lots of lovely memories for me and has enabled me to put names to faces that I had forgotten.
lovelygirll

Postby brianblaenboy » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:25 am

Welcome, lovelygirll - the name Barbara Packer is another I recall..........just, but don't know why. Age doesn't help, but as much as I try, there are still faces on the 1960 photo I recall but the names don't come easily.

Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby JohnPitt » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:49 pm

brianblaenboy wrote:Based on the 9 photos John has put on facebook and in the order he has starting from the extreme left hand with the ladies:-
PHOTO NUMBER ONE
Standing at very end:- Eluned Phillips?-became head of Ferndale Junior School I think.
2nd from left sitting:- Ann Phillips - Phil Pillips daughter.
Going from Eluned, No 7 is a Meyrick not sure of first name.
Next to her is Sheila Jones - from Blaenllechau
Next but one to her is Sandra Forward.

Brian

Hi Brian

Sheila (Darran) has told me the 6th former standing is Enid Davies, - since you put a Q mark here I have removed "Eluned Phillips" as a conflict.
Also, If Kay Meyrick is correctly tagged, Sheila Jones of Blaen is not next to her. Is this tag correct?? does she have light or dark hair?

JohnPitt

Postby brianblaenboy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:40 pm

John, quick reply, yes the lady on the end could be "Enid" - I'm reasonably certain this was the Head of the "Lower School" when it took over the old Grammar School.
For the other answer, bear with me I'll find where I've got my photos and check.

Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby GaryLockyer » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:26 am

I can confirm that Enid is definitely the young lady at the end of the row.
We were in the same class in infants, with Miss Morris from Llyn Crescent as our teacher.
You may also recall that Enid was one of the people shown in the original Ferndale-Wales website photogragh, being one of the team that set it up in the first instance.
Don't know if you have this name on there - 3rd row from the front, second seated on the left hand end, just to the left of Enid is Ann Phillips from Tylorstown. She is/was Phil Phillips's daughter. Phil was a builder/undertaker that had the sweet shop on the hill in Cross Lake Street. I well remember Phil buying my grandfather's Brough Superior motorbike and sidecar to use for his work. (Although carrying a coffin on a sidecar was not the best way to do it).
He could be see all around Ferndale with his ladders and tools in the sidecar.

Gary
GaryLockyer

Postby JohnPitt » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:21 am

Coffins by sidecar - Gary you are never short of an anecdote! :o

Yep I think Ann Phillips is correctly tagged but only a small percentage of 6th formers are tagged. How many do you remember and what about the unnamed teachers next to 'Titch' (on his left) to the right as you look at the photo?? 2nd and 3rd from the head.
JohnPitt

Postby RogerWood » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:48 pm

JohnPitt wrote:Coffins by sidecar - Gary you are never short of an anecdote! :o

Yep I think Ann Phillips is correctly tagged but only a small percentage of 6th formers are tagged. How many do you remember and what about the unnamed teachers next to 'Titch' (on his left) to the right as you look at the photo?? 2nd and 3rd from the head.

Dicky Splint.
RogerWood

Postby howard » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:46 pm

Staff that I recall are, to the left of Emrys Howells as you look at the photo, Miss Bufton (English),
reading right from "Titch" are "Dickie Wood" (Davies) woodwork; Dai Les Williams - geography & a bit of German;
Mervyn Lloyd - economics; Brynmor Jones

Howard
howard

Postby JohnPitt » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:04 am

That's great Howard, also Darran, Gary & Roger thanks

Thanks also to Ann Bishop, George Millard and Carol Edmunds via facebook direct.

That leaves 2 teachers between Melmouth and Mal Jones and 2 more on his left.
JohnPitt

PreviousNext

Return to Ancestry