1960 Ferndale Grammar School Photo

A discussion forum for matters of ancestry. Whether you want to share information or ask questions, if you've any ancestral connections with Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach, post your message here.

Re: 1960 Ferndale Grammar School Photo

Postby mochyn » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:48 pm

This particular administrator also has three young kids and a full time job.
Mochyn Administrator for: http://forum.ferndale-wales.co.uk/
mochyn
Site Admin

Postby mochyn » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:16 pm

mochyn wrote:
howard wrote:I now have a good scan of the November 1957 Ferndale Grammar School photo, would any kind forum user be
able to host this if passed on?

Yes, mail it to me and I'll deal with it. Which reminds me, I've some others to post too, someone else sent me some a couple of weeks back.

Here it is (click the image to see it full size):

mochyn
Site Admin

Postby JohnPitt » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:22 pm

Excellent full res image thank you for doing that Mochyn.

A year before I went, but my sis Dorita 9th from the end top row and Mr Sidney Miles - lovely 'old fashioned' Physics teacher next to Head Master. Also Mr Woods (PE) and G M Jones (English?) between Wm Lloyd and Brymor Jones.

(Dorita has posted here)
JohnPitt

Postby mochyn » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:00 pm

JohnPitt wrote:Excellent full res image thank you for doing that Mochyn.

Not at all, thank Howard, I'm merely hosting it.
mochyn
Site Admin

Postby brianblaenboy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:46 pm

I'm sitting on the floor somewhere and from memory I was hard to spot - my first year in Grammar.

Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby lizziemg » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:55 pm

I have an original of this - I'm in the back row, short dark hair and glasses and standing slightly to one side. My name was Mary Thomas - since changed and it then gets complicated. I can probably add names to several ex-school mates but it may take a little time. Be great if we could "tag" the photo as on facebook!

The Domestic Science teacher was Lena Jones. When I told her I was going to work at the NCB Offices in Butetown, Cardiff she told me to be careful I didn't get stabbed! I'm afraid I was always something of a disappointment to her - my sewing skills left a great deal to be desired but my rice pudding was a winner!
I've tried to identify the teachers between Mal Jones and Melmouth - don't recognise the white haired one I think he did teach maths. Again - not a teacher I impressed.
lizziemg

Re: 1957 Ferndale Grammar School Photo

Postby lizziemg » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:12 pm

I've just found me in the front row of the 1957 photo - my 1st year in the Grammar School. I'm 10th from the left sitting between Gwyneth Evans (now Maliphant and head of, was it Tylorstown school?) and Lynne Edwards (as was)
1st left in the front row is Barbara (now Willmore); No.7 is Eileen; 8 - Sue Roberts (now Allen who taught IT at Ferndale Comp); Gwyneth; Mary Thomas (me); Lynne Edwards; No.17 - Glenys Webber: No24: Dawn (from Pontygwaith); 26 Eleri Thomas (now Collins - my cousin from Maerdy); 28 - Margaret.

Re my earlier post - how feasible would it be to get these on Facebook - maybe have to get the old magnifying glass out though!
lizziemg

Postby brianblaenboy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:54 am

Another blast from the past. Mary Thomas, lived in North Road almost opposite Elm Street. This site gets better each day.

Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby JohnPitt » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:01 pm

lizziemg wrote:I have an original of this - I'm in the back row, short dark hair and glasses and standing slightly to one side. My name was Mary Thomas - since changed and it then gets complicated. I can probably add names to several ex-school mates but it may take a little time. Be great if we could "tag" the photo as on facebook!

The Domestic Science teacher was Lena Jones. When I told her I was going to work at the NCB Offices in Butetown, Cardiff she told me to be careful I didn't get stabbed! I'm afraid I was always something of a disappointment to her - my sewing skills left a great deal to be desired but my rice pudding was a winner!
I've tried to identify the teachers between Mal Jones and Melmouth - don't recognise the white haired one I think he did teach maths. Again - not a teacher I impressed.

Hi Mary How lovely to have you show up!

Why don't you fill us in on your post school days in the [Where are you now????? ]
or [Take aways -- So What took you away? ] threads in the General section?

It isn't easy listing names on here, which is why the tagging is done on Face book. You can either see them on my (John Pitt-Francis) school photos album here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =3&theater
or at Ferndale Grammar School facebook site. Presently there are a lot more tags on mine, but would be great if you can identify more.

At last we have a surname for Lena! thanks. Are you on FB Mary?

You should be able to spot yourself on the Ferndale Junior school photo there (1st year I think), I would love to know who you are sitting between Mary.
JohnPitt

Postby lizziemg » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:06 pm

Hi
Yes I am on Facebook - check me out as Liz Gardiner. It's complicated but Mary Thomas became Mary Lewis in 1964, who became Liz Lewis (when I worked in an office with 5 other Marys) who became Liz Gardiner in 1985! I moved from Ferndale around 1976 and spent the next 17 years in Pontypridd before moving to the lovely village of Caerwent, Monmouthshire in 1993.
lizziemg

PreviousNext

Return to Ancestry