Davies family, Albany Street

A discussion forum for matters of ancestry. Whether you want to share information or ask questions, if you've any ancestral connections with Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach, post your message here.

Davies family, Albany Street

Postby ieuanwilliams » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:33 pm

Hello,

I'm researching my grandfather's family, Robert Davies from Albany Street. He moved up to Anglesey during the war. He died when my mother was sixteen so I know very little about him. He had two brothers: Dewi and John, and a sister called Undine. I think Undine and her husband James James ran the old Salisbury Hotel at one time and that my great grandfather lived there with her family. If anybody has any information on this family can you please reply.

Diolch yn fawr

Ieuan
Last edited by ieuanwilliams on Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ieuanwilliams

Re: Davies family, Albany Street

Postby Becca54 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:20 pm

Hi Ieuan,

It looks like Robert was born in 1911 and Undine D Davies in 1915, mother maiden name was EDWARDS.

If you order the birth Certificate of Robert it will give parents names.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Cost is £9.25 you will have to register.
Births Sep Qtr 1911
DAVIES Robert Pontypridd 11a 1464

One you have parents names you can look for the Marriage at

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Once you have the marriage certificate that will give Bride & Groom's father's names.

This will make it easier to find them on census records.

Undine married James E James in 1932 and died in 1997

Name: Undine Doreen James
Birth Date: 2 May 1915
Death Registration Month/Year: May 1997
Age at death (estimated): 82
Registration district: Pontypridd
Inferred County: Glamorgan
Register number: 76A
Entry number: 55

Regards

David
Becca54

Re: Davies family, Albany Street

Postby ronjames » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:12 pm

Hi Ieuan

I tried to send you a reply previously but it doesn't seem to have registered! My name is Ronald James. I am the eldest child of Undine , your Grandfather's sister. His father was John Charles Davies (known as 'Jack Walters' because his mother married a second time - he had 3 half brothers) and his wife was Winifred nee Edwards. I understand he came from Trebanog and had full brothers who all died young, in WW1 and one in a road accident.
I last met your grandfather when I was staying at Bangor Normal college with the National Youth Orchestra. We met and went to Amlwch. I remember he had 4 children, Dilys, Eirwen, Arfon and Caradog and they lived at 4 or 6 Council Houses Amlwch. I had met Dilys and Eirwen when they visited us in Ferndale whilst we were living at 41 Albany st.
My uncle Bobby (your grandfather) had two brothers Johnny and Dewi. Your grandmother, Margaret last visited Ferndale for Johnny's funeral whilst the family were living at the Salisbury Hotel. They returned to Albany St. after about 10 years in the pub. Dewi died some years later.
I am one of 6 children 3 of which (all women) still live in Ferndale, one in Australia and my only brother in Rhymney. I currently live in London but have bought a house in Porth where I intend to live to be nearer the family.
If you want to get in touch my email address is ron.james@sky.com.
Best wishes
Ron
ronjames

Return to Ancestry