Taff Street

A discussion forum for matters of ancestry. Whether you want to share information or ask questions, if you've any ancestral connections with Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach, post your message here.

Re: Taff Street

Postby brianblaenboy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:29 pm

My memory of "Tann Sweet Shop" is still there, but when I was down there in 90's, I thought one of the ladies behind the counter was "Hilary Tann" - hope I've got the name right? If so, we may have been at the Grammar School at the same time but not in the same year.
brianblaenboy

Postby JohnPitt » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:06 pm

Subject: Taff Street

brianblaenboy wrote:My memory of "Tann Sweet Shop" is still there, but when I was down there in 90's, I thought one of the ladies behind the counter was "Hilary Tann" - hope I've got the name right? If so, we may have been at the Grammar School at the same time but not in the same year.

What was your surname and entry year Brian? I believe I was one form above Hilary - we were both in the 'assembly' orchestra - were you?
JohnPitt

Postby GaryLockyer » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:18 am

G'day Brian/John,
Brian, Yvonne (nee Gazzi) took over running Tann's sweet shop/ wool shop / pattern shop in the late 80's. I called in and had quite a long talk to her when I came back to Ferndale in 1990. I know that she had somebody else in the shop working with her, but I am pretty sure that it was not Hilary Tann. By the 90's HIlary had already become a noted musician and composer.
I noticed on another Post, that someone had remembered that Evans the Milk was one or two doors down from Tanns. Thanks for the 'gap fill'.
John, you must be a little younger than me, I am '44 vintage.
With all of the baby boomers in that immediate post war period, I keep dragging up names that I have not thought of in years.
Peter Jones from Brynhyfryd, whose father was a teacher in the Grammar school - I think.
All of the Wilmores, Errol Knott, Wendy Phillips, Mair Caradog, Mair Davis from Frederick St, etc. All of the corner shops in various streets.
Virgo's at the end of Brynhyrd, Mrs Phillips Tudor St, Mrs Edwards Frederick St, Phil Phillips on the hill - Cross Lake St are some that I used to frequent.
Ooops, rabbiting on too much - time to do some work. Catch you all later
Gary
GaryLockyer

Postby MartinTann » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:25 pm

howard wrote:Spent many happy times with Ray Tann as a good tennis player, four of us would regularly drive over to Penrhys park for Saturday morning
matches or play at Darren Park, this would be around 1950 so memory fails me as to our two fellow players

Howard

It's great to hear that, Howard. My dad, Ray, would remind me that he used to play tennis, but it was never corroborated... except I guess by genes that took me to watch court No. 1 in Wimbledon today (awesome - esp Roddick).
MartinTann

Postby JohnPitt » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:57 pm

GaryLockyer wrote:G'day Brian/John,

John, you must be a little younger than me, I am '44 vintage.
'46
With all of the baby boomers in that immediate post war period, I keep dragging up names that I have not thought of in years.
Peter Jones from Brynhyfryd, whose father was a teacher in the Grammar school - I think.

Brymor Jones my form-master. Peter was pretty good with the trumpet played Purcell's 'trumpet voluntary' in the house eisteddfod one year.
All of the Wilmores, Errol Knott, Wendy Phillips,

She would be about your age, then she had a sister in our year -- can't remember her name.
Mair Caradog, Mair Davis from Frederick St, etc.

Must be a different Mair Davies living in Rhondda Road and related (Niece I think) to Mr Howells Grammar School headmaster
All of the corner shops in various streets.
Virgo's at the end of Brynhyrd, Mrs Phillips Tudor St, Mrs Edwards Frederick St, Phil Phillips on the hill - Cross Lake St are some that I used to frequent.
Ooops, rabbiting on too much - time to do some work. Catch you all later
Gary
JohnPitt

Postby JohnPitt » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:05 pm

had a sister in our year -- can't remember her name.

Diane Phillips
JohnPitt

Postby brianblaenboy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:22 am

Wendy & Diane Phillips lived in one of the side streets off North Road, if my memory is right.
brianblaenboy

Postby GaryLockyer » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:53 am

Pine Street, I think. Walk down the gully from North Road and turn to your left? :?:
I ma posting all over the place. This one is in Taff Street. I think I am going to start another thread on Rhondda Tce. But before I start it - What is unique about Rhondda Tce when compared to any other street in Ferndale, or Blaen?
Once you have added your reasons I will start.
Gary
GaryLockyer

Postby JohnPitt » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:12 am

Not many Terraces in Ferndale have large fromt gardens Rhondda Terrace does.
JohnPitt

Postby brianblaenboy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:48 am

Gary/John, your memories have certainly got me going, and I've been amazed at what I've remembered since coming on this site.
On Taff Street, when I used to collect the Echo for Blaen, the station staff would get very angry if we did not put the wrappings in the rubbish bin before we walked away - in fact I think one guy who lived in Taff Street, stood by us to make sure we did it.
Iechydd
Brian Evans
brianblaenboy

PreviousNext

Return to Ancestry