Taff Street

A discussion forum for matters of ancestry. Whether you want to share information or ask questions, if you've any ancestral connections with Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach, post your message here.

Re: Taff Street

Postby darran » Mon May 24, 2010 11:16 am

Good to hear from you Martin. I do remember the cat now you mention it! Your sister Hilary briefly logged on to the old Ferndale website - she has done well with her music. Is she still in the US? Are your parents still alive - your Dad was a keen Bridge player with my Dad many moons ago. On the old web site I recall having a discussion about Tann's shop and the fact it was a sweet shop, a lending library and a wool shop!

Sheila
darran

Postby JohnPitt » Wed May 26, 2010 8:09 pm

Gee whiz another memory cell gets activated! Hillary Tann is a name I remember did she belong to the East Glam Youth orchestra?
I played bassoon but wasn't a very good player and a bassoon is not much use without an orchestra.
Remind me where the shop was Sheila.
JohnPitt

Postby darran » Wed May 26, 2010 8:26 pm

Tann's was between the jewellers on the corner and Roberts the butcher. Next to the jewellers was Evans the Dairy and Tann's may have been the next shop.
darran

Postby darran » Wed May 26, 2010 8:33 pm

Also, re Hilary Tann. If you google her you'll see she's now a composer and a professor of music in the USA and so you've played with the best! If you remember her Mum who was in the shop, Hilary I reckon looks a lot like her ( photos on her web site).
darran

Postby JohnPitt » Fri May 28, 2010 9:05 am

darran wrote:Also, re Hilary Tann. If you google her you'll see she's now a composer and a professor of music in the USA and so you've played with the best! If you remember her Mum who was in the shop, Hilary I reckon looks a lot like her ( photos on her web site).

Thanks for that amazing link Here's Hillary at 12 years old

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/phot ... =667254134

(Don't know whether you are on facebook Sheila - don't know your full name. I tried to PM thia post but the PM button don't seem to work that's why this is on the message board)

John
JohnPitt

Postby darran » Sat May 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Sorry, not on facebook John. What do you mean by PM?
darran

Postby JohnPitt » Sun May 30, 2010 9:27 pm

To the right on all posts is a PM icon which should enable a you read only message to be composed and sent and usually a reminder direct to your e-mail but it just comes up forbidden.
JohnPitt

Postby MartinTann » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:09 am

The shop was opposite the Workman's and down a few doors. Not the best place for a lending library! It now stands vacant here: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=m ... 9,,0,14.45 but it was once bustling: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2 ... 1067892623

The family are back in Ferndale, maybe for the last time, for my mum's funeral, dad having passed away 15 months ago. The Rhondda community is still wonderfully supportive; you can't beat it.
MartinTann

Postby JohnPitt » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:21 am

My condolences Martin, your parents must have reached a good age
JohnPitt

Postby howard » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:51 pm

Spent many happy times with Ray Tann as a good tennis player, four of us would regularly drive over to Penrhys park for Saturday morning
matches or play at Darren Park, this would be around 1950 so memory fails me as to our two fellow players

Howard
howard

PreviousNext

Return to Ancestry