Taff Street

A discussion forum for matters of ancestry. Whether you want to share information or ask questions, if you've any ancestral connections with Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach, post your message here.

Re: Taff Street

Postby JohnPitt » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:44 am

mochyn wrote:
darran wrote:Alan, you might br interested - I don't think I've seen this photo of Taff St. before -

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... X%26um%3D1

Sheila

Oh yes, I've not seen that partcular view before, although I have seen the web site. That's looking up towards Llanwonno isn't it? Some of my family on my mother's side are buried up there.

The tenth photo down the album shows a detatched house on the Blaenllechau side of the Bridge (well it may be split into two) - that used to be a bakery and shop my father did baking there couple of years in the 50's
JohnPitt

Postby iorijones » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:01 am

Dear all,
This is my first post, so first of all Hello everyone, hope you had a good Christmas and 'A Happy New Year' to you all.
I've got loads of questions and probably more than a few answers I suspect, I have a very good memory for places, events and dates but not for names I'm afraid unless I can put a face with it. First of all John Pitt, am I right in saying that you lived in no.19 New St. The point is , how old you are. Because I lived in no.13 and used either to play with either you or your elder brother! I also remember your father very well. I'm 73 now by the way. Moving on,the bakers by the bridge on Station Rd, was 'Barkways,' immortalised in music to the tune of Cwm Rhondda, -'bread from Barkways, bread from Barkways, you can tamp it on the floor- on the floor' etc. try it , the music I mean, not the -ah well. Yes,there was a large house at the end of Taff St, I think it was the Stationmaster's house, I knew the daughter there, I seem to remember that her name was Brenda Williams, that she was Captain of Islwyn up the Grammar and she was a very good pianist. She'd be a few years older than me now, was then as well!
I haven't been in Ferndale for years and when I did it pretty well stunned me , for a start I didn't know that the Workman's Hall had been pulled down. Where I had expected to see the 'Skyscaper of the Rhondda ', there was just a hole! During it's heyday it was the hub of the universe, altho' I never saw the baths in use,I remember well everything else, from the basement up there was an indoor swimming pool, the second floor contained rooms for let (i.e. the photographic club,)then on to the High St . level with a 1500 seat cinema, (it had side seating upstairs at one point, but they got rid of that in the early '50's,) first floor - a 6 table snooker/billiard hall, ( and I wonder how many remember another snooker hall about 150 yds. down the High St, with a large indoor market underneath) , the next floor had an excellent library and atop it all, the manager and his wife lived in a penthouse. The queues for a good film would go round the block. By the way. the premiere of the film 'Zulu' , courtesy of our very own Stanley Baker, was not the royal one in Leicester Sq., it was held in the Workman's Hall the night before. If you wanted a ticket for 'Drama Week' or 'Variety Week' you queued all night, usually in lousy weather. And of course there was the eisteddfod, the pantomime, the London Philharmonic Orchestra and the choirs, God, the choirs, not just the male voice, do you remember the Tylorstown Childrens Choir? World Class , Then and now. We were privileged.
But sad Darren Pk. the baths,- a pile of bricks, the children's playground - nonexistent, do you remember that terrifying iron horse, which if it gave you a clout, could probably have knocked you clear into the swimming pool. The playing field - granted a better one than we had, (less stones) but apparently they now need protection against a howling mob, I don't think they had fences that high at Stalag Luft 111 quote' put a fence in front of these men - and they'll climb it' unquote ( nostalgic reference 'The Great Escape ' it hasn't been on this Christmas!) Let's not forget the lake either, the trees are bigger but no floating island, no swans.(But in fairness they disappeared in the 40's) So of course Darren Park too has it's history, but what I know about that I'll keep for a later date.
It certainly wasn't my intention to go on like this when I started, I just meant to say 'Hello', but I seem to have tapped into the manic part of me, and I haven't been in touch with him for a long time. Hope I haven't bored anybody with all this because I do have plenty more in the way of memories and reflections But not tonight, if anyone replies to this please let me know who you are will you? Thanks and Goodnight.
Iori Jones
iorijones

Postby darran » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:54 pm

Hello Iori
Good to hear from another nostalgic soul!
Your mother didn't happen to teach the piano by any chance? I used to go to a Mrs Jones in new Street and I seem to remember it being No. 13!

Sheila
darran

Postby bouncer » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:19 pm

Old Mrs. taylor was a bit sadistic - when we (inevitably) knocked the ball over the wall she would wait until we sneaked right up to the ball - and then let the dog out!
Panto - yes - Mam was always Principal Boy and Dad the Comedian - I was involved at a younger age but got a bit self conscious about walking on stage with all my mates in the audience. Jan went to Sydney back in 1969 - sadly Denny died 7 years ago.
The wifes Mother was born in Fredrick Street - (Hendy) - her mother and Stan Baker's mother were sisters so the wife can say she is legitimately related the Stan unlike 10000 other Ferndale people claimed!
Sledging in the snow was a thrilling time - we used to come down the mountain top end of Darran and then whizzing straight down the 3 flights of steps to the gwlley into Rhondda Terrace - nerves of steel then! Because we were lying down with our feet flailing behind us we would have to stop and empty our wellies of snow after every "run"
bouncer

Postby bouncer » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:25 pm

iorijones wrote:Dear all,
This is my first post, so first of all Hello everyone, hope you had a good Christmas and 'A Happy New Year' to you all.
I've got loads of questions and probably more than a few answers I suspect, I have a very good memory for places, events and dates but not for names I'm afraid unless I can put a face with it. First of all John Pitt, am I right in saying that you lived in no.19 New St. The point is , how old you are. Because I lived in no.13 and used either to play with either you or your elder brother! I also remember your father very well. I'm 73 now by the way. Moving on,the bakers by the bridge on Station Rd, was 'Barkways,' immortalised in music to the tune of Cwm Rhondda, -'bread from Barkways, bread from Barkways, you can tamp it on the floor- on the floor' etc. try it , the music I mean, not the -ah well. Yes,there was a large house at the end of Taff St, I think it was the Stationmaster's house, I knew the daughter there, I seem to remember that her name was Brenda Williams, that she was Captain of Islwyn up the Grammar and she was a very good pianist. She'd be a few years older than me now, was then as well!
I haven't been in Ferndale for years and when I did it pretty well stunned me , for a start I didn't know that the Workman's Hall had been pulled down. Where I had expected to see the 'Skyscaper of the Rhondda ', there was just a hole! During it's heyday it was the hub of the universe, altho' I never saw the baths in use,I remember well everything else, from the basement up there was an indoor swimming pool, the second floor contained rooms for let (i.e. the photographic club,)then on to the High St . level with a 1500 seat cinema, (it had side seating upstairs at one point, but they got rid of that in the early '50's,) first floor - a 6 table snooker/billiard hall, (and I wonder how many remember another snooker hall about 150 yds. down the High St, with a large indoor market underneath) , the next floor had an excellent library and atop it all, the manager and his wife lived in a penthouse. The queues for a good film would go round the block. By the way. the premiere of the film 'Zulu' , courtesy of our very own Stanley Baker, was not the royal one in Leicester Sq., it was held in the Workman's Hall the night before. If you wanted a ticket for 'Drama Week' or 'Variety Week' you queued all night, usually in lousy weather. And of course there was the eisteddfod, the pantomime, the London Philharmonic Orchestra and the choirs, God, the choirs, not just the male voice, do you remember the Tylorstown Childrens Choir? World Class , Then and now. We were privileged.
But sad Darren Pk. the baths,- a pile of bricks, the children's playground - nonexistent, do you remember that terrifying iron horse, which if it gave you a clout, could probably have knocked you clear into the swimming pool. The playing field - granted a better one than we had, (less stones) but apparently they now need protection against a howling mob, I don't think they had fences that high at Stalag Luft 111 quote' put a fence in front of these men - and they'll climb it' unquote ( nostalgic reference 'The Great Escape ' it hasn't been on this Christmas!) Let's not forget the lake either, the trees are bigger but no floating island, no swans.(But in fairness they disappeared in the 40's) So of course Darren Park too has it's history, but what I know about that I'll keep for a later date.
It certainly wasn't my intention to go on like this when I started, I just meant to say 'Hello', but I seem to have tapped into the manic part of me, and I haven't been in touch with him for a long time. Hope I haven't bored anybody with all this because I do have plenty more in the way of memories and reflections But not tonight, if anyone replies to this please let me know who you are will you? Thanks and Goodnight.
Iori Jones

Iori - it was called the "City" and it was reputed to be a "den of iniquity"
bouncer

Postby JohnPitt » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:56 pm

iorijones wrote:
Moving on,the bakers by the bridge on Station Rd, was 'Barkways,' immortalised in music to the tune of Cwm Rhondda, -'bread from Barkways, bread from Barkways, you can tamp it on the floor- on the floor' etc. try it , the music I mean, not the -ah well.

Funny you should quote that. I distinctly remember someone singing "Duggans bread you can tamp it on the floor" that would refer to the Bakers in Maxwell Street.
There wasn't many Bakers in the area my Father hadn't worked for.

I've opened this topic as New Street
JohnPitt

Postby daveporthcawl » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:51 pm

Sheila mentioned Dyffryn Farm. My great grandparents William and Ellen Evans moved there from Dowlais Top aroud 1880s or 90s. Probably vacated around 1920.
Dave
daveporthcawl

Re: Taff Street/ now Dyffryn Farm

Postby darran » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:28 pm

Hi Dave

On the 1911 census Ellen Evans is still there as a widow with others in the family. It's called Dyffryn House. Have you managed to find it on previous censuses? I can't seem to see it anywhere.

Sheila
darran

Postby daveporthcawl » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:20 pm

Hi Sheila
Thanks for confirmation of Ellen Evans at Dyffryn Farm in 1911. Like you, I had no success with research on the 1901 and earlier censuses.
Good luck Dave
daveporthcawl

Postby MartinTann » Sun May 23, 2010 7:04 pm

Iori, I'd forgottten all about the Iron Horse in Darren Park. Damn it was scary.

Shiela, yup Mrs Jones at No 13 taught me too... as well as my sisters. Remember stroking the cat while waiting your turn?
MartinTann

PreviousNext

Return to Ancestry