Boy falls from Pylon in ball of flame

A discussion forum for anything you want to say or ask with regard to the general history of Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach.

Boy falls from Pylon in ball of flame

Postby JohnPitt » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:47 pm

Anybody have any info on this eletrocution event from the 20's or thereabouts? He may well have had the surname Davies there are two child 'accidents' mentioned in our family from the days of scant health & safety, one is well confirmed of my uncle catching his leg in dramway cable but this one - well.
JohnPitt

Re: Boy falls from Pylon in ball of flame

Postby mochyn » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:16 pm

What's your source of information on that one? Is it just a story within the family or have you found some documentary evidence. I'd be fascinated to know if you found the answer. My parents were born in Ferndale in 1919 but neither of them ever mentioned that.
Mochyn Administrator for: http://forum.ferndale-wales.co.uk/
mochyn
Site Admin

Postby JohnPitt » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:52 am

Mentioned more than once by my Mother (and not a tall tale to discourage dangerous climbing!) Absolutely no evidence whatsoever. My understanding was it was our maternal family (or greater family) and was one of the pylons above Blaenllechau.
JohnPitt

Postby mochyn » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:15 pm

Fascinating, though not for the boy obviously. I guess you might consider looking through the newspapers for that time at the library in Pontypridd if you're ever passing. They have volumes full of the Rhondda Leader there, possibly some others too. Let me know if you find anything out. I may travel to Ponty again one day to trawl through the papers so I'll let you know if I do.
Mochyn Administrator for: http://forum.ferndale-wales.co.uk/
mochyn
Site Admin

Postby JohnPitt » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:03 am

Yes the Rhondda leader would be the right one - If only I had a clue about the date - but I haven't. 500 or more papers to trawl through is rather daunting, still I would have thought it to be front page material.
JohnPitt

Postby daveporthcawl » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:09 pm

I actually remember the crowd which gathered on Blaen hillside after the boy fell from the pylon...... he touched the high voltage cable.
I was in Pine Street or Elm Street at the time. My best guess is that it happened around 1940/2 when I was about nine years old.
The boy died shortly afterwards in hospital. A very sad but true event.
daveporthcawl

Postby JohnPitt » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:33 pm

Dave Porthcawl you are the very first to veryfy this event outside the family! - thank you. If your wartime date is correct, that means a lot less "Leaders" to check out! If you can remember any other detail that will refine the date (Summer, winter, green ferns or brown ferns etc) please put them on this forum - thanks, and thanks for the offer to look in the RL office Mochyn.
JohnPitt

Postby JohnPitt » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:56 pm

Oh and the accident to my Uncle was due to jumping on to the coal dram in Tylerstown. He was good at doing this while the drams were in motion, but one day he was out of luck, his foot slipped as he got on, and went into the iron spokes - wrenched his foot right off - he was only 8.

This is the next IT HAPPENED story on my face book link.

See my interesting links thread.
JohnPitt

Postby kimbo53 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:18 pm

My Dad lived at 13 Club Row, he remembers the boy falling from the pylon as he was at school with him (he is trying to remember his name). He thinks it was in the late 1930's.
kimbo53

Postby JohnPitt » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:48 am

From the W.G.Thomas thread

evandale wrote:Hello,I am new/old boy on the block, recently found the forum.

Re - Boy falls from pylon in ball of flame- his surname was Murray and he lived at 19, Elm, street.
Regards.

Thanks for that info Evandale - can you firm up a date?? just wondered
JohnPitt

Next

Return to History