W G Thomas of Trerhondda Chapel

A discussion forum for anything you want to say or ask with regard to the general history of Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach.

Re: W G Thomas of Trerhondda Chapel

Postby mochyn » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:46 pm

Thanks. And I should have said, this photo was from Easter 1945.
Mochyn Administrator for: http://forum.ferndale-wales.co.uk/
mochyn
Site Admin

Postby daveporthcawl » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:35 pm

Alan
No doubt W G Thomas in his prime. I have vivid memories of him from the 40s...............and I was 13 when the Forum pic was taken in 1945. I did not attend Trerhondda athough I went to English Wesleyan and Temple, thereby getting two Sunday School outings to Barry or Porthcawl. I played some table tennis in the Trerhondda crypt with some schoolpals. He was known as Thomas Trerhondda to adults but WG to the kids. He often judged literary competitions at the Grammar School Eisteddfods and was a big pal of the Headmaster Emrys Howells.

Dave
daveporthcawl

Postby mochyn » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:26 pm

Fantastic, thanks. We seem agreed that that's him then. Here's a copy of the bookplate he signed in the New Testament he presented to my mother in 1940. I'm sure it's his original signature because it matches the one that's on my parents' marriage certificate.

Mochyn Administrator for: http://forum.ferndale-wales.co.uk/
mochyn
Site Admin

Postby mamgu01 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:49 pm

When I knew him he lived in Duffyn Street by the bus stop up to Maerdy, his house had a lot of steps in front, he might have moved there from Graig Terrace I don't know,
I new him from about 1949 to 1976 and I can only remember him living in Duffyn Street. I lived in Regent Street.
mamgu01

Postby Harrisrle » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:28 pm

We knew him as Thomas Trerhondda. Gymanfa's were a joint effort with Tabernacle (our Family Chapel) and we would hold them at each Chapel on alternate weeks, at this time (1940's to late 1950's) both chapels were thriving. Thomas Trerhondda would lead the singing and get carried away, my one memory of him was the time he got so mesmerised he swung his baton arm and neatly decapitated a bowl of tulips that were alongside him. It is easy to forget just how strong a part Chapels played in the Ferndale Community, Tabernacle had Band of Hope, a savings fund, organised trips to Barry, Chidren's Christmas Party and an Amateur Dramatics Group. Good people, good times but the writing was on the wall from the 1950's as the older generations died out and the younger ones found religion elsewhere. Tabernacle used to hold an annual 'Big Meeting' , very high Welsh but I have no idea what the purpose of them was.
Harrisrle

Previous

Return to History