Brown St.

A discussion forum for anything you want to say or ask with regard to the general history of Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach.

Brown St.

Postby GLYNYEEND » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:42 pm

Hi to you all
I lived in Brown St. from 1941-1972. I have recently acquired the two volumes of the book "PASSAGES OF LIFE, FERNDALE AND DISTRICT" in which there are some wonderfull memories for me with some great photographs. There are a few references to the "COFFEE TAVERN" being originally in Brown St.
Does anyone have any information on the Coffee Tavern. The only building I can think of is the house on the hill leading down to Brown St. where my Aunt/Uncle and cousins used to live. I believe it was pulled down in the early 60's
I am now living in Bolton but try and return home at least once a year.
GLYNYEEND

Re: Brown St.

Postby Dorita » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:51 pm

I am Dorita and also lived in New street from 1941to 1972. I can remember visiting your house and we would hang around at the age of about 6 or 7. Life was good in those days Yes I remember the coffee tavern as being the big house at the top of Brown street . My father kept the Mouse Farm in the lane near the entrance to Brown Street
Dorita

Postby JohnPitt » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:50 am

Hi Glynyeend asked my Sister to come on the forum and the very latest post is a new member too and someone she remembers - spooky :o

Coffee tavern - can't rightly remember that. Brown Street came up to the junction of New Street and Pleasant hill. Right there on the corner next to the builders yard was Ferndale's very own (roller) skating rink! I don't think it survived out of the fifties was that a coffe tavern as well?.
JohnPitt

Postby GaryLockyer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:30 pm

G'day Glyn, Happy New Year belatedly from "Down Under". :P
Best wishes to Elaine. It is about time someone got this up and running again.
I have been suffering withdrawal symptoms ever since the old site went down.
Anyway, I remember the coffee house and the mouse farm but have no specifics on either of them.
I tried to get into your site a number of time but always had trouble going through the links.
All the best everyone - talk to you later 8-)
GaryLockyer

Postby GLYNYEEND » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:36 pm

Hi Dorita
I remember your name but couldn't put a face to the name until I looked at your "FACEBOOK" profile today.
I visited your Father's mouse farm many times because I would pass it in the "GOOLIE* (or because you are posh in England "LANE") when going back and fore to the lower school. I also delivered newspapers from the age of 11 which meant going back down to the railway st.after school and that was the most direct route.
Did you go to the infants school in North Rd? If so I have a school photo taken in 1947/48 which I could send you either by e-mail or facebook to see how many people you would recognise. One other question did you go to the Grammer School? (I didn't was'n't clever enough) but my wife Elaine Wood who is just one year younger than us did and would like to see if she knows you from the school photo that we have.
Regards
Glyn
GLYNYEEND

Postby GLYNYEEND » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:04 pm

I have had it confirmed by my contact in the R.C.T.Library who is helping me with my family history that No.1a Brown St. where my Aunt, Uncle and Cousins lived in the early 50's was originally called the COFFEE TAVERN.
GLYNYEEND

Postby RogerWood » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:36 pm

GaryLockyer wrote:G'day Glyn, Happy New Year belatedly from "Down Under". :P
Best wishes to Elaine. It is about time someone got this up and running again.
I have been suffering withdrawal symptoms ever since the old site went down.
Anyway, I remember the coffee house and the mouse farm but have no specifics on either of them.
I tried to get into your site a number of time but always had trouble going through the links.
All the best everyone - talk to you later 8-)

You could have been here sooner if you hadn't changed your e-mail address
RogerWood

Postby eirwen » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:31 am

Hi New to the site. Il ived in Duffryn Street 1939-1947. If my memory is correct I remember going down to Brown street to a house where we could buy toffee apples. Also remember Johns the Book Sellers [near to 93 Duffryn Street] . Think Ronnie Morris lived 3 doors from me. Remember a policeman that always had a bloodshot eye[put the fear of god in me].Anyone else remember any of these things.
eirwen

Re: Brown St. and Dyffryn St

Postby darran » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi Eirwen

If you remember the booksellers you might remember the cobblers across the road at No. 35 Dyffryn St. That was my grandfathers. As a matter of fact the booksellers were also relations but on the other side of the family!

Sheila
darran

Postby eirwen » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:46 am

Hi Sheila It was a long time ago . I remember a butchers up near North Road where we use to buy faggots whose name I think might have been Williams also a fish and chip shop whch again I think was Williams.Remember the milkman with the milkchurn on the back of the cart and he measured out the milk either 1/2 pint or a pint and poured it into the jug which we gave him. Now and again we would get the cardboard milk tops push out the middle hole and lace them all together to make shopping bags.I think the milkman was known as Jones the Milk and he had a son I used to play with. Did you ever do this.The shop next to the booksellers might have been a greengrocers and behind it there was a pidgeon loft . Was in Ferndale 2 years ago just to have a look around , went up to Darren Terrace to have a look at the school and surprised to see that the swimming pool was gone. Where I now live in Surrey we have a Ann James and a Tippens family who are also from Ferndale.Have a cousin still living in Maerdy who I email to catch up on what is happening now in the area. Nice to know that other people remember the past. Eirwen/Alun.
eirwen

Next

Return to History