Ferndale pantos.....

A discussion forum for anything you want to say or ask with regard to the general history of Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach.

Ferndale pantos.....

Postby darran » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:34 pm

I have been looking at the second volume of 'Passages of Life, Ferndale and district' and it is very interesting with loads of names mentioned. For 'bouncer' on this forum I thought you might like to know that all of your family are named and mentioned as having 'played prominent roles in the production of the Christ Church Pantomimes' . It goes on to list others who took part in the pantos referring to the 1956 one in particular.

Also Mike,the book also gives a detailed account of Morris Williams, who lived at No 45 Darran (last house), and his sporting achievements. I remember the small round man walking up and down the street but didn't know about his past, There are 2 pages on him!

Sheila
darran

Re: Ferndale pantos.....

Postby mochyn » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:58 pm

45 Darran is where my father was born in 1919.

Alan
Mochyn Administrator for: http://forum.ferndale-wales.co.uk/
mochyn
Site Admin

Postby darran » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:00 pm

Yes, I reckon that Morris Williams and family must have moved in after your grandparents moved out as I always remember them there.

By the way, as well as the reference to the 1867 explosion I said about in that same Ferndale book, there was a bit about the Thomas brothers - Cyril and co and a mention of their Dad to do with swimming.

Sheila
darran

Postby mochyn » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:17 pm

Fantastic. Cyril will be interested by that. I'll catch up with the other postings, the book sounds fascinating.
Mochyn Administrator for: http://forum.ferndale-wales.co.uk/
mochyn
Site Admin

Postby bouncer » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:26 pm

mochyn wrote:45 Darran is where my father was born in 1919.

Alan

didn't Morris Williams live over the Beasleys. Morris' was the first house in Darren to have a Tele - I used to go over there on a Sunday afternoon to watch Hawkeye and the Last of the Mohicans!
bouncer

Postby darran » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:10 pm

Yes, I'd forgotten the Beasleys. Can you remember any of their first names and maybe a face will spring to mind!
Mike, when did you move from Ferndale?

Sheila
darran

Postby bouncer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:10 pm

darran wrote:Yes, I'd forgotten the Beasleys. Can you remember any of their first names and maybe a face will spring to mind!
Mike, when did you move from Ferndale?

Sheila

The only two Beasleys I remember was Terance and Michael - Terance was the middle one as I think there was an older brother
bouncer

Postby brianblaenboy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:56 pm

"Red Riding Hood" performed by Christ Church (Ferndale) Young People - date unknown - programme cost 3d.
Characters:-
Simple Simon - Graham Hatton (also Producer); Baron - David Watkins; Mother Hubbard - David Evans; Red Riding Hood - Noreen Richards; Punch & Trunch, Village Policemen - Bobby Williams and Charles Jones; Prince Charming - Janet Gamlin; Dandy - Norma Wong; Witch - Patricia Powell; King Wold - Charles Jones; Gamekeeper Wood - Lilwen Jones; Fairy Queen - Linda Mathias; Splinter and Footman - Ellen Edwards. Others:- Eileen Jones; Elaine Jones; Shirley Kenealy and Lucille Williams.

Backroom Staff:- Stage Managers - Anthony Wills; Joseph Hawkins & Emrys James: Orchestrations by Haydn Morgan & George Maslin: Lighting - Gwyn Williams: Wardrobe Mistresses - Megan Howells & Dorothy Thomas and assisted by:- Betty Jones; Audrey Prewitt; Evelyn Clements; Bette Jones; Marion Biddle; Iris Williams & Phyllis Williams.

Do these names ring bells?

Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby JohnPitt » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:58 pm

Isn't mother Hubbard your brother? Prince charming - Janet Gamlin both on the Ferndale Grammar photos.

Marion Biddle part of Glen's family?
JohnPitt

Postby brianblaenboy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:46 pm

Well spotted John, that's why I have the programme as my late mother kept a lot of bits and pieces from those days.

I also have the programme from 1963 Ferndale Grammar School Prize-giving and the names on there relate to a lot in that 1960 school photograph.

I have no idea if Marion Biddle is related to Glen, but I'd be surprised if there were more than 1 family in ferndale - I could be wrong of course.

Brian
brianblaenboy

Next

Return to History