W.G Thomas, Trerhondda Chapel.

A discussion forum for anything you want to say or ask with regard to the general history of Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach.

W.G Thomas, Trerhondda Chapel.

Postby evandale » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:05 pm

Hello,I am new/old boy on the block, recently found the forum.
Regarding W.G.he lived at 5,Dyffryn Villas, my Aunt and Uncle, Harriet and Evan Evans, were his housekeepers, they lived in London prior
to WW2 and kept house for David Treharne, Ref- Mochyn parents marriage certificate. They returned to Ferndale when the Blitz started
in London and later joined W.G.at his home. I attended Trerhondda all through my younger life, three times on Sunday and Urdd on Tues evening.
I was born at 17,Fir Street, in 1931, Lived in No 22 until 1950, I married in 1958 and lived in North Rd, then moved to Porthcawl in 1986.
I hope to put some factual input to the Forum in the future.
Re - Boy falls from pylon in ball of flame- his surname was Murray and he lived at 19, Elm, street.
Regards.
evandale

Re: W.G Thomas, Trerhondda Chapel.

Postby mochyn » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:33 am

evandale wrote:... Regarding W.G.he lived at 5,Dyffryn Villas, my Aunt and Uncle, Harriet and Evan Evans, were his housekeepers, they lived in London prior
to WW2 and kept house for David Treharne, Ref- Mochyn parents marriage certificate. They returned to Ferndale when the Blitz started
in London and later joined W.G.at his home. I attended Trerhondda all through my younger life, three times on Sunday and Urdd on Tues evening...

Excellent, thanks for the addition infrmation about WG. As a reminder, here are the photos from the other topic that discussed William Griffith Thomas, the bookplate in my mother's New Testament, which carries his signature:

And the photo that everyone agreed was him:

Do you have any more to tell about the Treharne family? I assume Eileen Treharne is connected to the David Treharne you mentioned?
Mochyn Administrator for: http://forum.ferndale-wales.co.uk/
mochyn
Site Admin

Postby evandale » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:27 pm

David John Treharne, I remember him vividly, he wore a black homborg hat and overcoat,a gold watch and chain in his waistcoat and wore a bow tie, and walked with a silver topped cane. and he always had a large cigar in his hand. There is a connection with Ferndale, whenever he was here he visited my Aunt and Uncle. and was very friendly with W.G. I am sure he was related to Eileen Treharne.
evandale

Postby wesson55 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:25 pm

As I said on facebook I have a few stories about WG. When he first came to Ferndale he lived with my mother-in-law's parents in Bryngoleu Crescent before moving to the Villas. From the stories I've been told he held quite a torch for her! I met him a couple of times prior to my marriage at my in-law's house. I remember going to a Gymanfa Ganu and thought: fire and brimstone has nothing on this fella! Howard told me once that in one Christmas sermon WG told anyone who had alcohol in the house to leave the chapel at once, Howard said that his first thought was that WG would be left there on his own!! He was a guest at my wedding on the Isle of Wight, in 1981, where he stood up at the reception and told my new husband he was a chapel boy, a Trerhondda boy and not to forget it. Think that was telling me not to entice him to church seeing that he had just seen us marry in church!! After I moved to Ferndale he came to see me some time in 1982 and said he had a proposition for me! If I went to Trerhondda instead of St Dunstan's he would conduct the service in English. I've got a few photos of him in my photo collection - from his early days in Ferndale to some at my wedding. It's a pity neither my in-laws nor Howard are no longer with us otherwise there would be plenty of stories to be added.
wesson55

Return to History