houses demolished in Aberdare Road Blaen

A discussion forum for anything you want to say or ask with regard to the general history of Ferndale and the Rhondda Fach.

houses demolished in Aberdare Road Blaen

Postby lynnerj » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:03 pm

Hi, does any know the date the few houses, no.4 being one of them, were knocked down in blaen?
lynnerj

Re: houses demolished in Aberdare Road Blaen

Postby brianblaenboy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:19 pm

Aberdare Road, Blaenllechau, numbered from the top down to the Glyn. At the time I delivered papers in Blaenllechau, people from those top houses had to walk down to the tap outside 'the Owens' house for water. From memory I do not believe they were still there in 1963 when I joined the Army, I may be wrong. If I have a chance to find out, I'll put the answer on here.
Brian
brianblaenboy

Postby lynnerj » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:26 pm

thank you brian. any info would be appreciated
lynnerj

Postby JohnPitt » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:47 pm

In the late fifties, I remember one of those houses (number 3 I think) getting a very bad house fire nobody died except the dog :( who could clearly be seen in the back bedroom (no roof left), the following morning, from the mountainside. I believe the fire hoses couldn't reach the main hydrant.
JohnPitt

Postby brianblaenboy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:48 pm

John, you have a knack in making the brain work - somewhere in mine, I can vaguely remember my parents talking about the hoses did not go down the road far enough. Wonder if that was the reason that those houses soon emptied, I do remember them being derelict.
brianblaenboy

Return to History